LED switch. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED switch.

Hi, everyone, I am going to ask a silly question I know someone can help me, I suppose I am being a little dislexic tonight, but I am trying to hook up a toggle switch just to simply turn on 2 3mm LEDs I am using a 9 volt batt. for the job, it funtions well as it should when I turn it on, but when I turn it off the battery gets real HOT!!! I had used used the LED array Wizard to help me with the correct resistor to use, and that seemed to work well, but I just can't figure out what else I can do to stop this battery from heating so much,.. just 2 little LEDs are kicken my butt, its getting down right embarassing....hopfully someone can help... I woud apprciate all the help I can get..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have it all wired in series? are you using a lighted switch or anything else funny in your system?

Did I read the first post right? The Battery only gets hot if it is in the off position? When in the on position everything is working correctly?

If so, its not the resistors.. The switch most likely is an on/on switch and is shorting to ground.

~Mark

Did I read the first post right? The Battery only gets hot if it is in the off position? When in the on position everything is working correctly?

If so, its not the resistors.. The switch most likely is an on/on switch and is shorting to ground.

~Mark

This^ See if there is a middle position for your switch. Otherwise, my only guess would be that you have something like a lighted switch, and have it shorted.

Back