LED tail light bulbs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED tail light bulbs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LED Brake Lights

Get LED bulb modules with as many elements as you can. The more elements the brighter the light. I installed brake lights bulbs purchased from superbrightleds.com.

I am pretty sure some people have them cause I remember people running into the issues of the "bulb out" indicator on the dash. The resistance and voltage consumption is less than a convential bulb - so you will need a certain resistor.

-Drew

ExplorerDMB said:
I am pretty sure some people have them cause I remember people running into the issues of the "bulb out" indicator on the dash. The resistance and voltage consumption is less than a convential bulb - so you will need a certain resistor.

-Drew

The 3157 bulbs I have are tail light/brake light bulbs with 25 elements in them. I have no problems with "bulb out" warnings. Turn signal lamps are a different story. Resistors are needed if LEDs are used as turn signals or they do the "ricer" quick flash thing.
LEDs are great for that instantaneous light. Waiting a split second less for a brake light to come on could mean escaping a rear ender. A word of caution. Units with a low quantity of elements may not appear to be as bright as the incandecents you are trying to replace. To be safe, choose LED bulbs with as many elements as possible. Of course, the more LED elements in a bulb the lighter your wallet.

electronic flasher

would it not be possible to just replace the thermal flashing unit with an electronic one (rather than having to use resistors) when using LEDs for taillights/turn signals? i would think this would be easier.

i got some last weekend. they blew my Running Lamps fuse so i took them back. didnt like them anyway they looked like a small red dot. didnt light up the whole thing. then again i have all clear tail lights. i took them back im just gonna stick with red bulbs not the LED's so if your running lights dont come on check the Running Lamps fuse in the fuse box.

Back