LED Tail Lights for an '02-05 4 Door Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Tail Lights for an '02-05 4 Door Explorer?

OurExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Front Range
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ed Bauer
Howdy gang-

Has anyone found any companies that do a quality LED tail light set up for the '02-05 Explorer 4 door? We do a LOT of night time driving and would like to find a quality LED set up. We thought of making our own with some Amber turn signals (ideal situation), but haven't pursued that angle yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for your reply! The thread you sent me sends me to the BilletAmerica website. There they have LED tail lights for the Expedition, not the Explorer. Thank you for your time though!

I know that they only have it for the Expedition. I don't know if they have them for the Explorer. Look at my other post about the Ford grounding issue. It discusses how the low current consumption, and high resistance of LEDs interfere with the TCC locking up.

i actually saw explorer LED lights on a website for around 250... do a good search first and if u come up with nothing, let me kno... im sure they have integrated resistors to make ur blinkers stay fluent... i have LED taillight bulbs and it threw off my blinkers... ive gotten used to it haha

The link is not working for me.

Ya, me either now. I don't know why.

Here's a copy and paste from the story I posted on ##############:

Those for the 3rd gen are junk. My gf bought me a set for Christmas. They arrived broken. One of the corners broke just like a cracker and there was little pieces of red plastic in the bottom of the box. They seemed to be fairly well packaged, too, but I know how shipping companies can toss stuff around, so I ordered a new set. Btw, they were purchased from billetamerica.com. They agreed to send me a new set, but I had to pay the shipping ($30 via USPS) to send the broken ones back. I wasn't thrilled about it, but I agreed anyway. I had been wanting these LED taillights since I first saw them last year. Well, the new set comes, and they were broken on the corner as well. At that point, and after closer inspection, I decided that the taillights were just way too flimsy. The last thing I want to do is put some $300 taillights on my Ex, and have them crack when I hit the first bump. I never even plugged them in to see how they worked. They just seemd to be low quality. Another thing - the red housing itself doesn't look like a normal taillight. It was a chrome-ish dark red. It resembled a dark red ball that you would put on a christmas tree, if that makes sense. I don't know how good that would look. Anyway, I had to fight with billetamerica over the phone to get them to refund my money, only after I paid to ship the second set back as well. The whole experience cost me $60, and I ended up with no taillights. They tried to make me use the money towards something else they sell, but they don't have anything I would want for a 3rd gen Ex. I would not recommend those taillights or billetamerica.com to anyone.

EDIT: Ha! That's why the link didn't work. It contains the name of another explorer message board. Same as the first part of my post above that shows as #####... Weird. I guess this site doesn't want any links to the other.

Back