LED Tailgate lights

jchughes05

Reaction score
City, State
HdG, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac Ltd.
Folks
I purchased a 49" ANZO LED tailgate light bar. I put it on my Sport Trac and within minutes it fell off :mad: :thumbdwn:. I looked under and saw plastic under the little gap, held on by bolts, which supports the plastic that goes around the license plate area. The light bar did not want to stick to the plastic. The 3M tape just kept popping off. I tried to jerry rig it with industrial velcro, that didnt want to stick either, and my light bar fell off while I was driving :(:thumbdwn::mad:.

My previous F-150 was all metal under the tailgate and my last light bar had no issues whatsoever. Has anyone else had this issue and what have you done to rectify this? I see all these light bars by different companies and they are all listed as "universal" but I know they won't stick to the plastic, either!

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pop of the tailgate ang use some selfdrilling screws, they come short down to about 1/4" deep, I know they call them selftapping but why then is there a drilltip on the end?

I know they call them selftapping but why then is there a drilltip on the end?
When ever you tap steel or aluminum you have to drill first then tap.

Wipe the plastic down with isopropyl alcohol and, if needed, some 3M adhesion promoter & try again.

I cleaned my plastic with alcohol then used my own preferred 3m double sided tape which you can pick up at Lowes or Home Depot. It's says "outdoor only" on it

Back