LED Third Brake Light Dead | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Third Brake Light Dead

Mountinheer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 2001 Mountaineer 5.0AWD, and it has the LED strip 3rd brake light. I'm not sure if it is original for this model, but it stopped working recently.

It is a complete assembly that it quite frustrating to remove ( glass has to come loose!!o_O) And I cannot find this part anywhere. Also, inspection just expired. :mad:

It has an in-line resistor on one lead - should I check here first?

Does anyone sell something that will get me through inspection?

Is it time to hit the junkyard?

:help:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a few spares sitting around. PM me a address and pay for shipping and I'll send you one.

Can't ask for more than that! PM sent!

You can buy em right on ebay.Any version i got a black one.You can get chrome or dark chrome or black.I didint remove any glass.I just smashed the light into pieces and removed it and bolted new one in.

My light was still good too.I just hated how old it looked so i got the dremel and my 2$ hammer out and smashed that ugly piece of garbage.I was very careful of the glass tho.You can lift the glass and try to pull the light out from under the glass or from up top.But just smash it out.I mean you are replacing it and it doesnt work anyhow.LOL

Back