• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

LED Turn Signal Mod

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Willing to bet 99.999% of inspections stations can't tell the difference between an LED blinker bulb and incandescent...................................
I don't know about those officials running inspection stations as it isn't something we have here. I believe it is quite easy to tell the difference between a flashing LED and incandescent bulb. The LED has a sharp ON/OFF signature whereas an incandescent bulb by its very nature requires a filament to heat up and cool off resulting in a less definitive ON/OFF signature.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Mikey*TX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Liv'n in the hollow of an 'ol oak tree. ;-)
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Do they have the DOT branded on them? Seems highly suspicious one of the things listed ISN’T DOT approval.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
JUST AN FYI, there is no DOT approval. DOT does not test nor certify any automotive light bulbs. DOT has a standard set, it is up to the manufacturer of the bulb to meet that standard and if they do, they can print the DOT approval. But nothing is ever sent or tested by the DOT

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Fair enough. But if they met the criteria, I’d think it’d surely be touted.

Mikey*TX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk
Do they have the DOT branded on them? Seems highly suspicious one of the things listed ISN’T DOT approval.
I just went with their response to my query. At least the darn pkging doesn't have off road use only in big red letters like the Sylvania ones do.

Mikey*TX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk
JUST AN FYI, there is no DOT approval. DOT does not test nor certify any automotive light bulbs. DOT has a standard set, it is up to the manufacturer of the bulb to meet that standard and if they do, they can print the DOT approval. But nothing is ever sent or tested by the DOT
Never was sure how that worked. I simply asked if their bulbs were street legal. They said yes. We have some dick head DA's in my area. One need only look at the debacle in Waco, TX a few years ago. All those bikers charged and then, all the charges dropped. Just CMA.

RickyG

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
Callsign
I
Never was sure how that worked. I simply asked if their bulbs were street legal. They said yes. We have some dick head DA's in my area. One need only look at the debacle in Waco, TX a few years ago. All those bikers charged and then, all the charges dropped. Just CMA.
All the charges were dropped because Abel Reyna bit off more than he could chew