LED Turn Signal Mod | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Turn Signal Mod

How is that ? The LED after market bulbs are packaged with a warning about not being DOT compliant. All states have statutes regarding the use of non DOT compliant lights on public roads. Ford has the right to disallow a warranty claim if in their opinion the said modification has caused the issue. There are horror stories on the Mustang forums, F 150 forums, etc from posters that have modded their vehicle only to have Ford lock down the warranty pertaining to the problem. I suggest you speak with your insurance agent about being covered if you make an illegal modification to your vehicles lights.

1) There is no Class C misdemeanor in NH (my state). So you "checking" that all states have it as a class C is wrong.

2) The OE bulbs are not brighter. Just because YOU chose to post a bulb that isn't does not mean they are all like that. Heck, the bulb I used and is posted in the LED mod thread has a center. Here is a pic of it. Oh and those are my hazards flashing which shows it is still brighter then the dual filaments.

Screenshot_20200325-191337_Amazon Shopping.jpg

On top of that, here is a pic of the left LED and the right OEM and the left is clearly brighter.

Screenshot_20200326-155421_Gallery.jpg

This also disproves your visibility claim "the intensity of the hazard flashers is drastically reduced."

3) There will be zero warranty claim denials. The bulbs use less power and less heat. The only mod we are doing is shutting off the bulb out feature. This is a feature in IDS that techs can do. It is an on/off switch per say in IDS, not a code rewrite.

4) claim denial based on working, functional and brighter then OEM LED blinkers. Lmao.. ya ok.

So yes, most of what is said is complete BS.

Now on a side note, I am all for nailing the people who put aftermarket LED lights in their headlights and blind the crap out of oncoming people. But all this crap about LED blinkers is just untrue and so over the top.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1) There is no Class C misdemeanor in NH (my state). So you "checking" that all states have it as a class C is wrong.

2) The OE bulbs are no brighter. Just because YOU chose to post a bulb that isn't does not mean they are all like that. Heck, the bulb I used and is posted in the LED mode thread has a center. Here is a pic of it. Oh and those are my hazards flashing which shows it is still brighter then the dual filaments.

View attachment 179636

On top of that, here is a pic of the left LED and the right OEM and the left is clearly brighter.

View attachment 179637

This also disproves your visibility claim "the intensity of the hazard flashers is drastically reduced."

3) There will be zero warranty claim denials. The bulbs use less power and less heat. The only mod we are doing is shutting off the bulb out feature. This is a feature in IDS that techs can do. It is an on/off switch per say in IDS, not a code rewrite.

4) claim denial based on working, functional and brighter then OEM LED blinkers. Lmao.. ya ok.

So yes, most of what is said is complete BS.

Now on a side note, I am all for nailing the people who pit aftermarket LED lights in their headlights and blind the crao out of oncoming people. But all this crap about LED blinkers is just untrue and so over the top.
At this point it seems like he’s just trolling.

If we are going to be concerned about legality, and making PSA’s maybe you should make some calls based on your auto stop feature disabling. It’s an emission related item and tampering with ANY of them is ABSOLUTELY a FEDERAL crime.

At this point it seems like he’s just trolling.
Sorry to burst your bubble. I'm not. What I posted is based on what is going down here in TX. My understanding that it is elsewhere too. If it is not in happening in your state great. TX is getting AR over lighting violations, window tint, tinted taillights, etc. That's just the way it is.

If we are going to be concerned about legality, and making PSA’s maybe you should make some calls based on your auto stop feature disabling. It’s an emission related item and tampering with ANY of them is ABSOLUTELY a FEDERAL crime.
The as-s is not a federally mandated emission part as is the cat. If it were, it would be on all cars. It isn't. Ford is using it to up its fuel mileage numbers. Did you overlook the fact that the Explorer comes with an as-s defeat button in the center console? Finally, the AS-S module simply changes the default from on at start-up to off. Simply toggling the switch in the console turns it back on. Maybe you should buy a new Explorer.

The as-s is not a federally mandated emission part as is the cat. If it were, it would be on all cars. It isn't. Ford is using it to up its fuel mileage numbers. Did you overlook the fact that the Explorer comes with an as-s defeat button in the center console? Finally, the AS-S module simply changes the default from on at start-up to off. Simply toggling the switch in the console turns it back on. Maybe you should buy a new Explorer.

Mikey, I was getting ready to post the same thing. You beat me to it.

Sorry to burst your bubble. I'm not. What I posted is based on what is going down here in TX. My understanding that it is elsewhere too. If it is not in happening in your state great. TX is getting AR over lighting violations, window tint, tinted taillights, etc. That's just the way it is.
You’re not bursting anything over here. Pretty much every thread you start has been a bunch of nonsense. You hate just about everything on the vehicle yet you now want to trade this one in for a new one. You’ve made false claims such as how long the ST has been in production and for sale. You’ve also made false claims about the ST not having a location for the tow hook. It’s really comical. The class c misdemeanor thing is a joke as well. You claim you are in law enforcement but you are on here more than Peter. The laughs just keep coming.

You’re not bursting anything over here. Pretty much every thread you start has been a bunch of nonsense. You hate just about everything on the vehicle yet you now want to trade this one in for a new one. You’ve made false claims such as how long the ST has been in production and for sale. You’ve also made false claims about the ST not having a location for the tow hook. It’s really comical. The class c misdemeanor thing is a joke as well. You claim you are in law enforcement but you are on here more than Peter. The laughs just keep coming.

Don't forget about the denied insurance claim from a changed blinker bulb and LEDs being more dim then incandescents.

Don't forget about the denied insurance claim from a changed blinker bulb and LEDs being more dim then incandescents.
Right! There’s been so much that I forgot about those. When does it end and why would a LEO buy a ST when they would be assigned a PIU?

Right! There’s been so much that I forgot about those. When does it end and why would a LEO buy a ST when they would be assigned a PIU?

Retired.

Dear Sir,
After careful review of your claim, we regret to inform you that we have denied coverage for the following reasons:

- Your turn signals were aftermarket LEDs that were so bright that they confused the driver who rear ended you.
- We did a Google search of random LED bulbs and found one that said, “For off road use only.” Due to this search we checked for other aftermarket parts and found that your “ST” tire valve caps are not genuine Ford. Therefore, we have no choice but to contact Ford and have them deny any warranty claims that you might submit in the future. Sincerely,
No Insurance Company Ever

It’s mandated as part of the emissions on this particular vehicle. It’s part of its fleet mileage requirements.
It’s not analogous to the cats, at all.

As far as putting down any pipes I can assure you I can pass any drug test known to man.

But, you know. You haven’t been right about much, why start now?

LOL. Why on earth would I want to do that? Pretty confident my Mounty will still be rolling the streets when your new truck is rotting in a scrapyard somewhere

If you say so.
I’d bet money on it. Between 100-200k my precious Mounty needed a driveshaft, and brake and transmission lines. The current one needed a water pump, alternator, and driveshaft. I’d bet $500 your Explorer doesn’t make it TO 100,000 without much more repair.

Y'all are so unappreciative. Here I provide all this comic relief while we're under house quarantine .............. Next an Saturday Night Live ............ :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not taking that bet I see.

Back