LED's in 2000 retrofit headlights(carpart4u) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED's in 2000 retrofit headlights(carpart4u)

I have the led's as drl's, but as you all know already, they are not all that bright during the day.

I want to upgrade them with brighter led's. Has anyone found anything brighter?

Don

Be careful. The three LEDs across the top (or two LEDs and one standard bulb) are pretty small. I tried some different bulbs in there and they wouldn't fit. I don't know about the halos because I disconnected mine.

I actually ditched the LEDs altogether and just shoved some standard amber bulbs in there. Looks more OEM which is the look I wanted. The LEDs don't do it for me.

I wanted to put my two cents worth in here and hope I don't get flamed for hi-jacking the thread. But since Celly has already answered it for the most part, I'll go ahead.

I ordered a set of these lights the other day and received them in quick fashion. Great service and really nice looking set of lights. And since their website had them $50 cheaper than folks were paying here, I was pretty happy...right up until I went to install them. I knew from Jamie's posts on another brand of light I was going to have to do some trimming of the header panel. But my God...I ended up cutting a lot out. Following Jamie's information allowed the headlight to mount up. But once you hooked up all the lights and connectors, you had interference with those connectors, plugs, etc. On one side, I even had to cut out an adjusting screw mount for the factory lights. Now, none of this bothered me because new header panels are dirt cheap so if I ever go back to stock, I can easily. But to say these easily bolt in is not accurate. Some fitment is required. Also, Celly mentioned to us that he had some problems getting some of the sockets to screw into the housing. I can see why. He got his in...no way on a couple of mine. They had glued the reflectors into the housing off center and didn't align with the slots correctly. A little work with the grinder took care of that, but again, it was necessary and shouldn't have been. Also...try and get the little plastic grindings out of the housing when you're done. Ugh. Also, they come with cheap aluminum wiring. Do yourself a huge favor and get rid of all that! You should see the specs on the difference between aluminum and copper. There's a reason it's not allowed in houses anymore. I replaced all the aluminum wiring with 14 ga. copper...except for the Halo's...which I just cut off as I can't stand Halo's.

So...would I recommend these housings? Probably not. Now, I immediately went with a Philips HID kit in the projectors which is why I wanted them. So if you are going HID, it's a very cheap way to get projectors. The cut off seems to be reasonable and I have to say I haven't had this good a light in a long time. I can see at night now...which is a problem for me and my eyes. My alternative is to mount and retro some Acura projectors in a clear housing similar to what P51 did. I think this would be a much better deal in the long run. But you won't do it for the price I'm in this. Now, don't shoot me, but I went to the local pick-a-part and picked up a bunch of fuel pump relays, fuse holders, and connectors form late 80's early 90's GM pick ups. They are very nice sealed relays and Metripack connectors. I have all the Metripack pins and seals so I could upgrade the wires in the connectors. This is what I used to control all the low and high beams. I ran a 10 gauge wire from the mega fuse to a junction block (also a GM piece) and powered all four fuses and relays from that. So I'm set...even for future upgrades. So all this, plus the housings and genuine Philips kit has me in it about $450. You won't touch a projector retro job for that. So in that sense, a little grinding and cussing may be worth it. But make no mistake...these are not plug and play. Maybe that's why the price dropped so much!

Cobra. I agree with you on all counts. They're not perfect but for the price they're great.

Cobra. I agree with you on all counts. They're not perfect but for the price they're great.

Exactly! I did way more grinding with my dremmel than I thought I'd have to. No big deal, but I was sure happy to have that dremmel laying around.

My headlights fit great, the sockets have room. Its all good. Not plug and play, thats for sure. I'm happy though. Carpart4u treated me great with my defective headlight. No complaints here!

Back