Left Passenger Power Window - Not Working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Left Passenger Power Window - Not Working

itamnala

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
Hi Guys,

Appreciate if you could help me out on my ST '02. Its left passenger side power window wont work up/down, open or close door, either from driver side switch or from the passenger side switch. All the other 3 power windows are working just fine. I checked the fuse and seems to be in good condition.

It has been working well the past few days and I only noticed the problem now. I remember reconnecting the rain gutter on this window when it fell last week. Is there any connection with the problem at hand?

Again, thanks in advance for your support and help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Guys,

Appreciate if you could help me out on my ST '02. Its left passenger side power window wont work up/down, open or close door, either from driver side switch or from the passenger side switch. All the other 3 power windows are working just fine. I checked the fuse and seems to be in good condition.

It has been working well the past few days and I only noticed the problem now. I remember reconnecting the rain gutter on this window when it fell last week. Is there any connection with the problem at hand?

Again, thanks in advance for your support and help.

- window won't go up or down (with door opened or closed)
- rain gutter fell in (is that the rubber moulding on the door?)
- was the door taken apart?

there is no connection unless the door was taken apart.
you may have a broken wire or a bad motor, since the fuse is for the complete system (all windows work or they don't if it's a fuse issue).

If you know electronics, check for power at the motor when the switch is activated. (you have to check for power and ground at the motor, not just power). work backwards from there and problem will be found.

at this moment I wouldn't guess switches, since they both don't work, unless a broken wire in the driver's is where the power is fed to all door switches.

or leave it for an expert.

Thanks bdmaash for your input. I will work on it today and will give you an update afterwards. Hopefully it's just a loose wire to te motor.

If you pop off your "right" passenger window control switch panel and have a test light available you can determine the problem. Make sure the "Window Lock" switch on the drivers door master switch is off.

The red/lt.blue wire is direct power to the passenger switch, is it hot?
Yes = bad passenger switch or bad motor.
Yellow/Red & Red/Yellow wires are to the motor. Pressing the UP/DOWN switch on the passenger control should alternately show power on these two wires. The motor powers up & down by reversing polarity on these two wires. If you get power on these Y/R & R/Y wires then your motor is bad (or the wiring from the switch to the motor is bad, not likely)
No = Bad window lock switch (but you are getting no movement from the Master Switch either so I'd highly suspect a bad motor)

Thanks ncranchero for your analysis. As I will be away for a month and the issue is no urgency, i have to do all as suggested when i get back.

I had same problem with my '95 Limited. I bought a used motor from an secondhand auto parts place. I then found instructions online, with photos, showing how to replace the thing. It wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't want to do it again.

Back