• Register Today It's free!

Left Rear Spring Sag

adub98

Reaction score
City, State
Olympia/Ellensburg, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT V6
My 98's Left Rear sags pretty bad. I know it's a common thing and it seems like the Right Rear sags as well but not nearly as bad as the left. Would new shocks fix this problem or should I look for a rear spring from the junk yard? I believe the shock are the originals (127k). I'm getting new shocks anyways but want to fix this issue first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea the left sags a little more on some trucks because the engineers at Ford decided to put the gas tank and driver and the transfer case on the same side so there is considerable more force being applied to the driver leaf. In the past its be referred to as "the explorer gangsta lean" (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184206&highlight=driver+lean&page=1).

To battle that a little you could probably switch the left and right leafs and see if that levels it out any. If not then it might be time for some new leafs / other suspension parts. I don't know how much help shocks would be, but it didn't help section any.

Mine sags in the back a little bit but left-right its pretty level, so far anyway.

Went to the junk yard today and found two explores with the springs. They want $20 which seems fine to me. My final two questions are, One is an Eddie Bauer with the air ride (axle removed already = easier to get the spring off), are their different spring rates for an Eddie Bauer and XLT? And then, I figured I'd take the right spring from the junk yard and swap that in on my left side. Does that sound ok or should I take the left side?

shocks do not help or prevent sag, they only dampen the suspension.

If you want to pick up new leafs from a junkyard make sure you do both left and right side. The spring rate for the EB might be different so stick with an XLT and try to find the newest ones you can. Also i would swap them from side to side when putting them in so you dont end up with the same type of sag.

Ok thats what I was thinking. I'll go back with some buddies tomarrow and get the spring from the XLT.

Back