Left turn signal smoke?

net_shark512

Reaction score
City, State
pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
Smoke from left turn signal
My 00' Xlt has a problem that sometimes randomly the left turn signal stops blinking on the dash and the arrow stays on steady but very dim. When you shut the turn signal off it takes a few seconds for it to go out. Then it works great again. The right one never does this. Anyway it did it today and while I was trying to get it out smoke started coming out of the colum. Not alot and didn't really smell anything burning but smoke none the less. After I got the signal off the smoke stopped and the turn signal still works now. Anyone have any idea what could be going on? I am thinking a bare wire or something must be touching something? Why doesn't a fuse blow? why does the turn signal stayed powered for awhile when you shut it off? why does the blinking stop? This is really strange. Guess its going to have to go to the dealer. I just won't use the left signal until I figure out what is going on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the multifunction switch (stalk) is bad.

Do you think this a fire hazzard? You have heard of the switch making smoke?

Yes. Get it replaced ASAP.

its actually not that uncommone!
i guess its a fire hazzard technically. there was a recall on the multifunction switches at least for 99s. mine was replaced because it went nuts and my windshield wipers would come on anytime i turned on a blinker. heh..

anyway, my current one does the white smoke puff about once every 2 months or so. kinda annoying but oh well. its not an expensive part really so it would be good to replace it. i'm just stubborn. you should replace yours though.

Ha, I got the same problem with my 97 sport. The exact same thing happens to mine. I called ford and they said its just prolly some dust in there. I'm not going to change anything until i really have to.

the actual problem is that some of the wires end up "shorting" i guess you could say. mine has little burn marks on some wires but everyting still works. like i said, i'm stubborn. but its not dust and the ford people know better.

My EB did this two weeks ago, some smoke came out of the colum as well, so i pulled over turned off the x waited a minute and started her back up, no smoke since then. Called ford and double checked on their website they say there is no recall. So for now i am driving without the cover's for the colum until it does it again.

I've had the same thing happen on my '97 Sport and those pecker heads at Ford wouldn't believe a word I was saying, after taking an hour to figure that out! $75 later and a nice loud f*#ck you to the manager, and I was outta there, guess I know where I'm going this weekend, and I'm printing this thread off to take with me. Thanks for the testimony guys!;)

[QUOTE='92Bauer]My EB did this two weeks ago, some smoke came out of the colum as well, so i pulled over turned off the x waited a minute and started her back up, no smoke since then. Called ford and double checked on their website they say there is no recall. So for now i am driving without the cover's for the colum until it does it again.[/QUOTE]

That's great! A bunch of Explorer's going down the road with the steering coumn in pieces. My '00 Explorer started doing the same thing about 6 months ago. I've been drivng with the top of the steering column off for the last two months.

Back