Lens Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lens Question

Ok, so I converted my puddle lamps to turn signals, and replaced the regular #921 bulbs to expensive LED tower bulbs.

Regardless, I would like to do something with the lens. The puddle lamp lens is not faded, or anything like that, but it doesnt really do the LEDS much justice. Ive found a way to gently pry off the lens (off the housing) and was thinking about purchasing some very clear plexi glass of some sort and replace the puddle lamp lens to make the LEDS more clearer.

My question is.. the puddle lamp lens has that "texured" ripply lens, and does the stock lens have sort of magnifying logistics to it, or does that "textured" ripply lens keep the bulb from being TOO bright?

Any suggestions as to the type of plexi glass I should buy? Dont they sell magnifying plastic lens too, that I could cut into the same shape as the stock lens?

Any ideas would be helpful....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The stock lens is like that to spread the light over a large area.
I havent seen any magnifying lenses.
Just take out the lens and see if you like the light pattern. If so than clear Plexiglas will not distort the light anywhere near as much as the stock lens does.

Well I removed the stock lens and sealed in some new very clear plexi glass lenses. The LEDS are much more noticeable!

OK Jeff,:thumbsup: Now its time for some pics so we can see how they look.:D

Jeff, how did you remove the lens? I don't see any tabs, or anything to remove them on my '02 X.

Back