Les Schwab says "3 Diff Tire Sizes" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Les Schwab says "3 Diff Tire Sizes"

1998 Explorer XLT 4WD, no lift. I know minimal about tires, and used the search function prior to posting.

I thought I wanted to put stock size all terrain tires on this truck, it currently has worn out 30 X 9.50 R-15's.

The gal at Les Schwab punched in "98 Ex XLT" and said there are 3 different tire sizes available:

225 70 R15
Another 225
and a 235 (can't recall the full sizes.)

So this truck I am buying has the 30 X 9.5 r15's as mentioned above. This size is larger than stock right?

Any opinion on whether to go back to stock size or get new 30's since that's what's already on there?

shouldn't have 225's on it, stock size is 235-75-r15, but you will be fine going up to a 31-10.50-r15 if you want.

Thanks techieman.

Yes, I thought it was weird that their computer would show 3 different sizes.

Ok, so if it had 235-75-r15 before, those were 28.9's using the calculator link provided in the "Lifts and Max tire" sticky thread.

So the seller added another inch to the tire, how does that affect the odometer, if at all?

Follow up question: so 31's are the max tire (as indicated in Lifts and Max tire thread) without banging the wheel wells/fenders? The 30's on their now have plenty of clearance; they are worn, but there is plenty of clearance.

Back