Let it be known (parking brake springs) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Let it be known (parking brake springs)

When a 4405 blows, you have no PARK, no reverse, nothing. Until you get it in 4LOW, then you're golden.
interesting, i hope that doesnt happen to mine, LOL!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes sir, I should have added that if it is your first time popping a 4405, and at the top of a steep grade in heavy traffic, no flat ground, and you have no passenger to fashion a wheel chock whilst you regroup on the shoulder, you might wish you had a good functional parking brake.

LOL, that's when you learn to park sideways on all hills. I learned that soon after my AWD went out, and that truck the parking brake didn't work well. So until I got to adjust it again, I learned to never park pointed up or down hill. Always park so if you leave it in neutral with no parking brake, it will stay where you get out of it.

E-brakes? Who needs em?

OK I'll bite, what's the penny trick?
Penny trick is great if you have to deal with a stiff spring, but it requires room. Works well on motorcycle kickstand springs, for example.

Take your spring, and bend it. Use whatever tools you need. This will create a gap between coils on one side of the spring. Stick a penny deep into that gap. Now bend the other way, insert another penny. This slowly lengthens the spring so you can install it. Then, using pliers if necessary, remove the coins. Voila!

Thanks for that tip.
A new one for me.

Hmm... Disturbing thread. I need to replace my OEM rear parking brake pads with OEM similar. Is this going to be an all day job?
afternoon imo

yeah started in eve then stopped for night finished next morning so id say yeah
i hope this person has muscle cause those springs suck

good reminder, sometimes we think ahhh its fine. but in retrospect were gambling with fate
FYI, Grainger sells a brand of safety glasses with built in readers for us old guys or anyone who needs "cheaters". I use them at work every day.

I would choose to pull the axles out, and use the time to replace the axle seals and axle bearings. Those are the weak links inside all Ford rears. If you feel frisky, also pull the spider gears from the diff, and replace the LS clutches too.

Yeah i thought about removing it but ya never know when youll need it
Not to mention that if your vehicle requires yearly safety inspections, no E-Brake will keep it from passing (at least here in Virginia)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Penny trick is great if you have to deal with a stiff spring, but it requires room. Works well on motorcycle kickstand springs, for example.

Take your spring, and bend it. Use whatever tools you need. This will create a gap between coils on one side of the spring. Stick a penny deep into that gap. Now bend the other way, insert another penny. This slowly lengthens the spring so you can install it. Then, using pliers if necessary, remove the coins. Voila!
WOW, I am glad to see someone else knew this. I had that issue on my 69 Chevelle after a 4 wheel disk upgrade (Corvette brakes).

I had this old hot rodder - Ronnie, whom actually ran moonshine on the Thunder road, show this to me. He said to me: "Rick-Please, add two necessary things to your toolbox, pennies and a bunch of matchbooks (for gapping points).

The "Rick-Please" thing came about because he always called people he didn't know, JIM. So when he called me Jim, I would say "call me Rick, please!". so after about 6 months I got to hang with the older rodders on cruise night and he started calling me "Rick-please"

Got to LOVE some of the old school Southern ways.
Thanks!

Back