Let' see your homemade workbench/tables | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Let' see your homemade workbench/tables

I'm in real need of some kind of workbench since every aspect of my fabrication is pretty much done on the side of the house on the ground or on a makeshift bench with plank of wood propped up with buckets.

I plan on making something pretty small but basic, 6' wide by 2' deep with a shelf on the bottom to hold totes of extra steel, power tools or whatever. Not sure if I want to make it out of wood or steel. If I can get some remnant steel pretty cheap, I'd rather go that route. Maybe even put some casters on to make it mobile is need be.

Whatever I make it out of it'll be primed and painted to hold up to the elements since this will stay outdoors which kinda sucks since I can't mount a vice and bench grinder and leave it mounted permanently.

Let's see what you got:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

zukman

"Home of Misfit Crawlers"
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
arcadia calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91EB, '86Sami, '85Ranger
lol The zukman just permently borrows stainless steel worktables from the stores! lol

corkey

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
why not put a bench grinder and a vise on it , but elevate them enuff to cover them with a bucket to keep rain off them ??
i have a compressor i leave outside on a bench ,, i cover it with an old cooler,, it never gets wet,, and always works,,

tdavis

Linux Guru, Jack of All Trades
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
I made mine out of 2x4's and hangers.. The top is 3/4" pine. I'd take a picture, but it's buried at the moment..

X~FACTOR

Name is Ray
Reaction score
City, State
Valley Stream, Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
My first complete project after buying a house. I went a little overboard using bolts instead of screws. 4x4 instead of 2x4. Bamboo table top instead of 1/2" plywood. This is so strong it could hold the weight of a truck. :)

attachment.php

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
why not put a bench grinder and a vise on it , but elevate them enuff to cover them with a bucket to keep rain off them ??
i have a compressor i leave outside on a bench ,, i cover it with an old cooler,, it never gets wet,, and always works,,

I will have a vice and grinder on there, i'll just remove them when they aren't being used for any length of time. Not concerned with the vice so much but my grinder has a belt/disc sander attatchment which is a bit pricey so...outta sight, outta mind;)

Not sure what type of wood I wanna use for the top, something 3/4" and cheap. Would MDF be good to use or is plain old plywood good enough and cheaper? I never buy wood so I don't know what the going rate is on this stuff.

tdavis

Linux Guru, Jack of All Trades
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
I will have a vice and grinder on there, i'll just remove them when they aren't being used for any length of time. Not concerned with the vice so much but my grinder has a belt/disc sander attatchment which is a bit pricey so...outta sight, outta mind;)

Not sure what type of wood I wanna use for the top, something 3/4" and cheap. Would MDF be good to use or is plain old plywood good enough and cheaper? I never buy wood so I don't know what the going rate is on this stuff.

MDF will self destruct faster than plywood..

So I've got two tops on mine. The very top is MDF, and it's easily replaced. Nice and smooth top that way.

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
MDF will self destruct faster than plywood..

So I've got two tops on mine. The very top is MDF, and it's easily replaced. Nice and smooth top that way.

Thats a good idea, I may just use 3/4" ply for the base then skin the top with 1/4" masonite. I've painted plenty of doors that were skinned with masonite and they've held up fine against the elements. I'm sure i'll have to re-skin it due to wear and tear from working on it long before the paint gives up.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
Sorry..I bought my $300 Craftsman one for $50 off Craigslist:p: and it was some guys office desk:confused:

00959229000?qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.jpg

also has a metal peg board on top, but not in pic

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
You could get a sheet metal plate cut to the size of the top, and screw it down.

Thought about that, but considering what I paid for my last sheet of 3/16" plate i'll stick with wood.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
I prefer to have a smooth surface...I've only seen small sheets steel at Home Depot and Lowe's and it's not big enough to make a top out of.
Besides, they charge a lot for their pre cut metals...one example is a 12" x 12" piece of 1/4" plate goes for $30:eek:

Section, nice job on your worktable but call me crazy, i like the old wooden one better:p:

As much as i'd like to go all out and build one out of steel, I'm better off building a wooden one with my budget. Anything will be better then working on a concrete slab holding the work with one foot while drilling/cutting with my hands.

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
Nice table Matt, must be great for welding.
I thought you'd like the sig line:p:

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
Here are my 2 tables. The big one, 4'x8', I got off craigslist for free and then added castors and electric outlets on 2 corners. 1/8" steel top. The smaller one is angle iron with a 3/8" top

Attachments

• welding table6.JPG
    welding table6.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 4,902
  • Explorer Bumperfab2.jpg
    Explorer Bumperfab2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 12,593

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
Nice tables Brian...if I had the room, i'd like to have a small table like that for welding as well as the bigger worktable.