• Register Today It's free!

Let the mods begin

banxwondar

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Clara
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Started off by removing the ecoboost badge. Then painted the Sport emblem. Up next, getting the door handles wrapped in matte black vinyl, stay tuned..

photo.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Started off by removing the ecoboost badge. Then painted the Sport emblem. Up next, getting the door handles wrapped in matte black vinyl, stay tuned..

photo.jpg

Looks good, I'll be definitely removing the ecoboost badge as well. Was going to do the same with the sport one, but blacked out looks great.

How did you go about painting it?

I was actually going to remove the Sport badge also, but decided to see what it looked like painted. I plasti-dipped it. It grew on me so I think I'll keep it on for now.

I was actually going to remove the Sport badge also, but decided to see what it looked like painted. I plasti-dipped it. It grew on me so I think I'll keep it on for now.

Did you spray it on the car and just tape off all around it or did you have to remove it and then do it? I'm not familiar with plasti-dipp but i'm really liking the results and may try this myself!

Just masked off the area around it. Sprayed it right on the car. Literally took me 15 min to complete. Give it a go, worse comes to worse, just peel it off!

I'm pretty sure this is obvious, but, does the Ecoboost/4wd badge just peel off, adhered with two sided tape? I may have to borrow your idea and add onto it. I'm really liking the look.

I'm pretty sure this is obvious, but, does the Ecoboost/4wd badge just peel off, adhered with two sided tape? I may have to borrow your idea and add onto it. I'm really liking the look.
No, you have to floss it off. It is two sided tape but it has extra adhesive on it.

photo.jpg

Maybe black carbon fibre vinyl wrap would be better. just a thought. :)

No, you have to floss it off. It is two sided tape but it has extra adhesive on it.

Excellent, I may give this a shot, I think I may get a rattle can of Tuxedo black paint made up and use that on the "Sport" badge just to make it blend a little better. I really like the look though.

Excellent, I may give this a shot, I think I may get a rattle can of Tuxedo black paint made up and use that on the "Sport" badge just to make it blend a little better. I really like the look though.
You could do that, but since you would be using actual paint you would have to remove the Sport Badge first, sand and prime it and then stick it back on. The beauty of Plasti-dip is that you can spray the badge right on the car, then simply peel off the surrounding paint around the badge. Comes off clean as a whistle! Plus, Plast-Dip makes a glossifier that you can spray as a top coat.

Do you have any experience with the glossy top coat? I'm wording if it would stick out more than blend in without having the metal flake in it. I do like the idea of not having to remove the badge to use the Plastidip.

Do you have any experience with the glossy top coat? I'm wording if it would stick out more than blend in without having the metal flake in it. I do like the idea of not having to remove the badge to use the Plastidip.

Yes on another car though. I'm not sure about it blending in with the metal flakes in the tuxedo black, however, plastidip has a silver metalizer that you can top the black with. When you do this, it comes out more of a gunmetal color though if you put more than 2 coats.

Hmm, sounds like the most feasible option would be to just stick with the regular plastidip as far as being certain of the outcome is concerned.

Nice!! Btw, are those the stock exhaust tips for the sport? (I have the Limited)

Thanks! Yup, stock tips.

It's a lot of black for my taste, but looks very clean!

One thing I think would be a great improvement is painting the brake calipers!

Yea Sport wheels. Wasn't really a fan of the original Hot Wheels look.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Black DMB Gel overlays ( not pictured: black steering wheel overlay)
photo1.jpg

8eb17a8b-daac-4faa-a87d-a317ea5f67d6.jpg

Tail end
photo-2.jpg

Back