• Register Today It's free!

Lets find that leak

Raph X.

Reaction score
City, State
SACRAMENTO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, explorer sport.
Ok guys im getting annoyed of the constant coolant refilling im doing so its time to take care of it. Problem is i dont have the right tools nor the full knowledge. But ive kept my exploder away from a mechanic since the day i got her.

Here it is. Im leaking coolant and would like an estimated guess of spots it my be coming from. Without jacking her up (im at a gas station) this is what im able to see. Any help would be very appreciated.

20210718_030934.jpg

20210718_030940.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clean everything off with break clean then follow the leak to the highest spot
You could do a pressure test
Really need more info ....

It looks like is on the front center on engine. My quest it could be from the weep hole on the bottom of water pump. My 95 started loosing coolant there. It only happens when you stop. In the winter, it shows up more. Sometime it did not leak other times it did. I had over 100k on the explorer. I noticed it when I took a short trip, stop the car, when into the store. Came out of the store it was water on the ground under the cars front. Then in the winter same thing, really wet (there was snow on the round).I just replaced the Water pump.

Start looking at the thermostat housing, and work from there out and down. That housing and the sensor are prone to leaking. The water pump is also a worry when they get old, yes the leak is typically from the weep holes where the bearings and seals are near to them.

A stop leak will slow or stop the leak temporarily, but plan to fix it when you can, with decent weather etc.

Start looking at the thermostat housing, and work from there out and down. That housing and the sensor are prone to leaking. The water pump is also a worry when they get old, yes the leak is typically from the weep holes where the bearings and seals are near to them.

A stop leak will slow or stop the leak temporarily, but plan to fix it when you can, with decent weather etc.
@CDW6212R @Pete Deering @donalds

More info on my ex shes past 200k, thermostat housing i did have some seepage but after seeing the dried up coolant i figured it was not from there. As for those weep holes i have never heard of them so i will go from there. Any guides yall can recommend?

cooling system pressure test kit at Advance Auto, Autozone, O'Reilly's... makes it easy to find leaks.

The coolant we can see is on the bottom left, front of the oil pan. So go upward from there, that coolant has to be from the front left side of the engine, such as the water pump. If the thermostat housing isn't showing much leakage, it's not likely from that.

With that much coolant present, it should be visible to see running down somewhere. I'd hope for the water pump, that's kind of minor versus the timing cover, on the 4.0 engines.

If no luck with suggested leak sites, take a look at the heater control valve. (Coolant could be running forward before dripping down.)

I had a leak like that on my '94 Aerostar. Turned out to be the white plastic 90 degree fitting on one of the heater core feed hoses, a little crack. Odd because the other fittings on those hoses are metal and look really great. Didn't leak all the time till it got worse. Took it to the auto parts store expecting having to order it and the guy says" how many do you want we have a big box of 'em". So I guess Ford uses them on other trucks than the Aerostar. replaced both, good for another 25 years.

If no luck with suggested leak sites, take a look at the heater control valve. (Coolant could be running forward before dripping down.)
Replace my valve twice.

Ok guys im getting annoyed of the constant coolant refilling im doing so its time to take care of it. Problem is i dont have the right tools nor the full knowledge. But ive kept my exploder away from a mechanic since the day i got her.

Here it is. Im leaking coolant and would like an estimated guess of spots it my be coming from. Without jacking her up (im at a gas station) this is what im able to see. Any help would be very appreciated.

View attachment 340576

View attachment 340577
I had similar leak that ended up being the plastic T connector where one of the hoses connects to the heater control valve. Seeping from the bottom so I could not see it. Ran my hand under the T connector and there was the leak which ran down the hose.

Here are two good pictures which show how the coolant hoses and heater control valve are connected at the WP and thermostat housing.

ARCModule 037.jpg

ARCModule 048.jpg

Great pictures

@CDW6212R @Pete Deering @donalds

More info on my ex shes past 200k, thermostat housing i did have some seepage but after seeing the dried up coolant i figured it was not from there. As for those weep holes i have never heard of them so i will go from there. Any guides yall can recommend?
Tell-tale dye added to engine coolant can be used to find leak points, as the color remains after evaporation around the leak occurs, unlike standard coolant.

Back