Lets get another BIG California run going! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lets get another BIG California run going!

Rick said:
106 pages of family photos? Any wheeling shots in there??

LOL! yeah there is! you just got to go through it. Or just surch through google or yahoo for "Dusy" pictures

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A stock rig can run Bald mountain. We did this a few years ago with Gerald, Ray Labato (sp?), tdavis, and I think it was baeexplorer. We did it with about 6-12" of snow so it was a bit fun.

If I remember right white bark vista int much more then a dirt road but dont quote me on it as it has been probably 4 years sense i was on that trail if it is the one I am thinking of.

Brewer lake had about a 30 foot section that was a bit of a challange because i didnt have anyone with me and one section had a good drop off if you made a mistake. the fear of a mistake was much worse then the trail was though. maybe a slightly lifted explorer could get through. It has been a few years sense I ran it though so it could have changed.

Never done coyote spanish or swamp but have heard swap is pretty tough and spanish can be as well depending on snow melt

Voyager rock can be reached by a stock explorer. I bet I could come real close to getting my parents jetta in there to tell you how easy it is. That is where we air down and lock our hubs for the dusy. Last year we camped there and then started the dusy when we woke up. Was a much better idea then driving up from fresno in the morning like we did the year before.

I think the dusy is harder then the rubicon. I have ran the dusy the last two labor day weekends into thompson lake and back out the same way. we have broken a shackle hanger, a starter, a joint in a steering column and a hub in two years on a cj7 on 33"s L/S F&R with a 4 to 1 in the tcase. In my ranger I snapped a sector shaft and had an ignition module go out. In addition to caving in the passanger door and a few good size dents in the bed ( driving error and no nerf bars accounted for 95% of the body damage)

If you guys decide to headup that direction and I can get the time off work I wouldnt mind grabing a passanger seat for the rides around. Who knows maybe i will get the engine and tranny swap done in time in my girlfrinds jeep and we can bring that up there to play.

Matt

Also the fishing is awsome on the dusy as well. We pulled 60 plus trout out of a lake in less than 4 hours with 4 people fishing. My girlfriends dad cought 8 fish on 8 casts. The views are pretty good as well. not as nice as the rubicon but still some great views.

RockRanger said:
Also the fishing is awsome on the dusy as well. We pulled 60 plus trout out of a lake in less than 4 hours with 4 people fishing. My girlfriends dad cought 8 fish on 8 casts. The views are pretty good as well. not as nice as the rubicon but still some great views.

You do catch and realease I hope. Thats a lot of fish for 4 people!

Positive Vibes said:
You do catch and realease I hope. Thats a lot of fish for 4 people!

The fish are only about 6-8 inches long so it takes alot of them to fill you up. We usually toss the ones back that we dont end up killing trying to get the hooks out. There are so many fish in the lake that I doubt what we catch was a big loss. In the two years we have only seen 1 other person besides the people in our group fishing it.

Matt

So has anyone got a date yet for when this is gona happen?

count me in

I have done Manley pass , goler, the panamint valley area, but never much more than that. I'm ready for some real wheelin. I am getting my 4-6" lift this week, I hope... Got a buddy with a 91 trooper and one with a 2002 Disco... whatdya think, can they come too??? :bounce:

Alright lets get a count...Who is interested? What date would be best? Do we go with Holiday or non-holiday weekend? Speak up people! :rolleyes:

I was just reding over at Pirate that Dusy is 33 miles long and takes at least 2 days. This is due to traffic I understand and that it's still a tuff trail. A Zuk on 32's has made it through, so that tells me there is hope. However there are still lots of trails in that area.

BKennedy said:
How about a date or even a month???

We should start throwing dates and places out and see who likes what.

I was thinhing Labor day...but I don't know if it may too busy up there that weekend? I'm open to Ideas? Just not 1st weekend of Aug. That all I ask. I have too work then. :(

I agree Stic-o, holidays weekends are going to be crowded.

I agree with no holiday weekends..

But somthing that was asked before. Is their somewhere the streeters can go and hangout, Or is this going to be a Fourwheelin exclusive?

Bobby Locs said:
I agree with no holiday weekends..

But somthing that was asked before. Is their somewhere the streeters can go and hangout, Or is this going to be a Fourwheelin exclusive?

I'm sure we could do a standard campground which would be available to all of us. We to get a date going though. I'm thinkining...

Aug. 27th-29th. This is the weekend before labor day. This also gives 2 months to plan. If enough people are good with this we will start another offical sign up thread, and get this ball rolling. I have never been up there so a pre-run will probally be needed as well.

Aug 27th - 29th works for me. Shouldn't we consider taking a Mon or Fri off also?

Positive Vibes said:
Aug 27th - 29th works for me. Shouldn't we consider taking a Mon or Fri off also?

We could do a 4 day weekend. The 27th is a Friday. So if we started then I would head up Thursday night or early Friday morning.

Positive Vibes said:

Sounds kewl, I'm up for it... :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just want to say that I would really like to do this, However I do understand that "the Dusy" is probally WAY over my head! On a 1-10 scale a 1 being a trail that some 4wd is used and a 10 being the "Con" This trail is rated a 9 by some and run backwards a 10. Yet I'm still willing to to give it a shot....I think. :rolleyes: As long as I have Sliders and bumpers done. The only things that give me hope is that I've heard a zuk on 32's made it and Bkennedy did the con on 33's.....Of corse I think he got draged through it and said he would never think twice about doing it on 33's again.

I am officaly crazy I think! :roll:

Back