Let's see, what can I powdercoat today? | Page 74 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Let's see, what can I powdercoat today?

nissan wiper 1.jpg
nissan wiper 2.jpg
nissan wiper 3.jpg
I have been practicing with my powdercoating system. So, today I thought I'd coat the wipers on my Wife's Nissan--might as well hit the ones on the Mounty also--

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Some ATV parts being prepped. Honda 300EX
002_zpsonjwxh0t.jpg

Coated with Black Frost base coat, Lollipop Red mid coat and Clear vision top coat.

007_zpsfcrhaw7m.jpg

010_zps15bicbbo.jpg

Battery box and linkage are Black Frost with Clear vision top coat

009_zps26o52jpa.jpg

This stuff goes with this frame, and rear end parts I did earlier at the end of January

005_zpszx6i1igr.jpg

003_zpsredb7sc7.jpg

008_zpsxmyqqwio.jpg

007_zpsdkixjoo5.jpg

006_zpsg4e0roel.jpg

010_zpsuvhuaznm.jpg

Believe it or not there is still more to do. So far I have engine side covers, and tie rods, plus he has more parts on order.

Kinda want to see it all put together:)

Thanks. It's all in the quality powder, and it helps to have a good gun, with an excellent ground. Talent is secondary. I just spray till it quits sticking lol

Here are some engine covers to go with the above ATV stuff. I'm showing a picture of them blasted, and then a few shots of "after"

what the messed up hue of the first picture because my camera is lousy

464_zpsje7mbbky.jpg

466_zps2ccfhf1i.jpg

468_zpsgdusg3eo.jpg

467_zpsnvyzet99.jpg

Looking good, Turdle! You sure are fancy with that powder. :cool:

Super Fancy-I really like the red!

It took me quite a while to get around to this one.

Bits and pieces I gathered here and there, then cut and grinded on them, welded them together, some more grinding, and powdercoat.

The flower stem base alone has 6 colors of powder, which means 6 hours in the oven. Petals are 4 color. ( white fading to chrome fading to pink base, with purple candy top coat, then a coat of clear)

007_zpsmr1bo0kk.jpg

We better hope our wives don't see that. I know if mine does, we will be placing an order, no matter what the cost.
If that were to happen, the only good part about it is that I'b be able to convince her we need to go pick them up so they don't get damaged.

Very cool! You are an artist!

Now you need to coat the bad 5.0 block and make a table out of it :D

Now you need to coat the bad 5.0 block and make a table out of it :D

Scrap collector guy hauled that away 2 days after the swap was finished. I did keep some parts from it for another idea though. Stay tuned I guess.

:D
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Showed the pic of the flower to the wife and she said she wanted one. Said she'd pay for it. :)

Showed the pic of the flower to the wife and she said she wanted one. Said she'd pay for it. :)

Trying to bend some new oil pump rod, but it is larger diameter than the one i used above. I have to mention now, a flower will probably cost me about 150.00 and 12 hours to produce. Only reason I mention this is I was offered 40.00 for one. The offer gave me diaper rash type symptoms.

It will be more in the area of 275.00 for one of these. I don't care if the price is too high, I will still make a few more.

I ran 6 colors on the stem to make it change color with sunlight. Here is a video which shows.

Anyway, here's a picture of some springs I did today

001_zpsgeigstyh.jpg

When the Missouri Kansas Texas ( MKT or Katy as it is called) railroad went belly up, and union pacific bought the rails, they changed the signage. The old signs were left to lay where they dropped.

This "Market whistle" sign was dug up after laying underground for about 50 or so years. Without doing any metal work I was instructed to do my best to restore it.

Boy, they don't make things like they used to. This is about 1/2" thick cast iron. Notice also, they didn't need to spell anything out. A simple black x is all you need.

003_zpsqsribnj3.jpg

Back when HD really meant Heavy Duty.

How much rust had to be removed? Being underground must have helped a little with less O2 ??

that and the paint which had to have lead in it. ;)

The rust was not so bad. I ran it through a self clean cycle in my little oven, turned on the big ol fan and abandoned the garage. After that it spent about an hour in my blast cabinet. I'd blast on it for about 20 minutes and walk away for a day or so. OK, to be honest it was pretty tough to blast clean.

Just noticed this thread...I poked around a few of the sections, but I'm nowhere near current on all 74 pages of discussion & pictures. In summary: Nice work!

I'm assuming, by the size of a few of the objects you're powder coating, that you have a larger oven than you originally started with.

It was only last year that I started to learn welding, metal work, and auto body & paint. I've managed to apply some of that knowledge to home repair & maintenance as well. I even got the chance to paint one of the local community college's police cruisers -- we jumped straight from learning priming basics into a full blown paint job covering 2/3rd of a Crown Vic. Now I'm slowly-but-surely trying to restore/mod my '66 GMC pickup...that's a lot of project to do alone and without a garage.

Eventually I'd love to have a setup which will allow me to do these sorts of things with all of the optimum tools.

Your results are outstanding. Thanks for making this thread to begin with; I'll be checking it out from time to time to see progress and learn more.

Just noticed this thread...I poked around a few of the sections, but I'm nowhere near current on all 74 pages of discussion & pictures. In summary: Nice work!

I'm assuming, by the size of a few of the objects you're powder coating, that you have a larger oven than you originally started with.

It was only last year that I started to learn welding, metal work, and auto body & paint. I've managed to apply some of that knowledge to home repair & maintenance as well. I even got the chance to paint one of the local community college's police cruisers -- we jumped straight from learning priming basics into a full blown paint job covering 2/3rd of a Crown Vic. Now I'm slowly-but-surely trying to restore/mod my '66 GMC pickup...that's a lot of project to do alone and without a garage.

Eventually I'd love to have a setup which will allow me to do these sorts of things with all of the optimum tools.

Your results are outstanding. Thanks for making this thread to begin with; I'll be checking it out from time to time to see progress and learn more.

Thanks for the positive remarks!
I sent you a pm

Been a while since I've checked in but I gotta ask if you were worried about possibly changing the weight rating on the springs when you coated them? And I never asked in the past but I believe you also used to do brake calipers in the past but not any more is this for worries of seal breakdown and not wanting liability?

Depending on how the next few months play out I may have some parts to send you.

Back