Let's see, what can I powdercoat today? | Page 76 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Let's see, what can I powdercoat today?

nissan wiper 1.jpg
nissan wiper 2.jpg
nissan wiper 3.jpg
I have been practicing with my powdercoating system. So, today I thought I'd coat the wipers on my Wife's Nissan--might as well hit the ones on the Mounty also--

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He's about 700 miles from me
snicker.gif

...for powdercoating

he's 950 miles from me....and i drove there to get my grill powdercoated because the shipping was too expensive. :crazy:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well, this thread is taking some weird turns...

288px-NYSDOT_NYW3-4.svg.png

Image courtesy of https:/ /www.wikipedia.com

Well,

Back to business.

Jon,

Nice job with the intake. Is that platinum with semi gloss black and a top coat of clear?

Well,

Back to business.

Jon,

Nice job with the intake. Is that platinum with semi gloss black and a top coat of clear?

Porsche silver, misty blue and clear vision. ;)

Another angle might show the blue better, might have to tilt your screen.

edit, nope, still looks like black. Yo'll have to take my word for it

Attachments

• 100_1772.jpg
    100_1772.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 325

Plan on the same type thing for my GT-40 upper. Base platinum, ribs semi gloss. Clear vision top coat.

Tried the top cover plate as Franklin Gray base. Inlay Ford Blue, Raised letters Semi Gloss black. Didn't like how it looked so out came the Methyl Chloride.

Clear vision is strange. It takes the platinum down a notch in gloss till it's seen in the sunlight.

Plan on the same type thing for my GT-40 upper. Base platinum, ribs semi gloss. Clear vision top coat.

Tried the top cover plate as Franklin Gray base. Inlay Ford Blue, Raised letters Semi Gloss black. Didn't like how it looked so out came the Methyl Chloride.

Clear vision is strange. It takes the platinum down a notch in gloss till it's seen in the sunlight.

Yeah, it does take away from brilliant metallic colors, however I think it does this the least other than maybe an acrylic, but I hate that stuff. Too many hassles

if thats the same blue you used on my TA diff cover, thats a neat blue. i also really liked the burnt metal blue you did on my SVO diff cover

IMG_4105.jpg
Jon,

What do you think Clear Vision will do to these?

Will it bond?

That's (2) weeks worth of work each.

so, I want to do the gate and door post on my exploder, but they don't come off :(

Made in USA Honda Accord Factory wheels which lost a battle with a curb. Or 2 or 3.

Before and after, one wheel is blasted in before picture

[MENTION=14280]ped5stang[/MENTION]

Attachments

• 100_1783.jpg
    100_1783.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 304
  • 100_1781.jpg
    100_1781.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 300
  • 100_1780.jpg
    100_1780.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 309
  • 100_1779.jpg
    100_1779.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 311

View attachment 88766Jon,

What do you think Clear Vision will do to these?

Will it bond?

That's (2) weeks worth of work each.

Naw
I'd get some "polished aluminum" from NIC and then clear it for long term clean up ease.

Polished alimunum looks sexy but it is too much work. The rouge compounds used for polishing may yellow under the clear, which is why I would do a base coat then clear.

Love your work jon and been waiting for some new pics! Those wheels look great!! Re: polished wheels, the DC-1's are my first set and will be my last set of polished wheels. Way too much upkeep.

Naw
I'd get some "polished aluminum" from NIC and then clear it for long term clean up ease.

Polished alimunum looks sexy but it is too much work. The rouge compounds used for polishing may yellow under the clear, which is why I would do a base coat then clear.

Thank you for your advice.

Those were actually going to be a (2) color if I can get it right.
A) Ford Blue \ Inlay where Ford Oval is.
B) All Lettering \ Semi Gloss Black
C) Inlay of Ribbing \ Semi Gloss Black

I'll never get close to the work you can do and I only doodle in this stuff when my time off from work permits.

I have access to a Grieve industrial oven so why not?

Chris

Naw

So Jon, you are suggesting powdercoat over the valve covers, and make it "polished aluminum" and clear?

I bought two sets of "BOSS" FMS VC's to use on two of my SBF's. They are flat on top like a Cleveland, but made for the Windsor SBF heads(six bolts not eight), they came on the crate motor 347's I believe.

Do you have a picture showing what that "polished aluminum" looks like?

So Jon, you are suggesting powdercoat over the valve covers, and make it "polished aluminum" and clear?

I bought two sets of "BOSS" FMS VC's to use on two of my SBF's. They are flat on top like a Cleveland, but made for the Windsor SBF heads(six bolts not eight), they came on the crate motor 347's I believe.

Hi Don, good to hear from you.

Here is a product link. Toward the bottom are some sample pictures, scroll to the right for examples without a color top coat.

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/HSS-2345/POLISHED-ALUMINUM/

Hi Don, good to hear from you.

Here is a product link. Toward the bottom are some sample pictures, scroll to the right for examples without a color top coat.

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/HSS-2345/POLISHED-ALUMINUM/

Here are my wheels that Jon did in "Super Chrome" and I thought the end result was more of a polished aluminum look (which is exactly what I wanted). Just another idea ;)
IMAG11281_zps469f26cd.jpg

2015-08-16_zpsmczdxkhc.jpg

Limited02,

Nice Rims. They make your rig stand out.

IMO.

Here are my wheels that Jon did in "Super Chrome" and I thought the end result was more of a polished aluminum look (which is exactly what I wanted). Just another idea ;)

Hi Joel.

I'd have recommended that one, however there is a "raw materials" issue and that color has been on back order for quite a while. I bought the last 10 lbs, and have just around 5 remaining.

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/USS-4482/Super-Chrome-Unavailable/

Well that's a bummer and lucky me! LOL

Limited02,

Nice Rims. They make your rig stand out.

IMO.

Thank you! Unfortunately the Explorer is no longer with me as I sold it on 12/31/2015. Treated me well after 10 years and I enjoyed making it my own.

Thanks Jon, and I like that look, and the Super Chrome looks great too.

The Lollypop Red over the polished AL may be a close enough match to the Toreador Red of our trucks. I might want both pairs of the BOSS VC's to be red, the 347 for my Lincoln will be very visible, unlike the Mountaineer.

Back