Let's Talk 2nd Gen. Front Bumper Area Wants? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Let's Talk 2nd Gen. Front Bumper Area Wants?

Pottsy

Reaction score
City, State
Carrollton, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4x4 xlt
Ok fella's now that I have all the front-end geometry for the 2 gen explorer... What would you like to see/have designed.

For 3 weeks I have heard everyone yelling "2nd Gen.. 2 Gen".... Well tell me what you want and I start designing and modeling it... and we'll get a quote and order going..:confused:

Here are some examples....

2ndgen4.JPG

Grif-x_3d3.JPG

RCBDU_kit_3d.JPG

XJU2Front.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

last one.....but for a Ranger (93-97):thumbsup:

l8r, John:cool:

If you can incorporate tow hooks that would be one thing I would suggest-

Maybe make a design which can not only be a winch mount-but could also use n "optional" push bar?
Modular--so to speak.

i like #2 and #4...just think #2needs more past just the frame rails to protect the front fascia.
and definately tow hooks

Just think #2needs more past just the frame rails to protect the front fascia.
and definately tow hooks

Ok, That is a great places to start... Post up some pictures of some examples... That you are looking for.. I'll get you some designs...:salute:

Me too, 2 & 4. I'd love to see something! Great that you're doing this.

Another vote for 2 & 4. 4s design with the winch mount more like 4. Id suggest tow hooks underneath and more towards the center. Just to the sides of the fairlead. Leave the fairlead a bolt on, some guys run synthetic rope. Tow hooks bolt on too, some clubs won't allow winching or towing with welded. I guess they are afraid of poor welds or something.

Leave plenty of room for the winch, I use a monster. Perhaps a grill gaurd too. Modular is always good. Then each use can customize for their needs. For example, basic off road bumper, bolt on winch mount, winch mount with grill gaurd. Think like the Warn Transformer, only with a bumper. Should broaden your market.

Shoot, you offer that complete with grade 8 stainless bolts, who wouldn't want one?

if this helps...my winch sits pretty far back in, and yet still protects the front;).. also notice the cut out in the header pannel for the selector

Winch3.jpg

not everyone runs a winch so i'm thinking that should be an optional thing. something similar to the last one with the option for a winch would be gravy. i'm pretty sure i've seen the real version of that last one on your site, it's pretty sick.

Here is the #2 kit...

DSC06142.JPG

DSC06143.JPG

DSC06144.JPG
[/QUOTE]

As for the fairlead and winch.. Those are just components in the 3D model to verify fit & function and give everyone a good visual.

The clevis mounts I install on all my bumpers are NOT welded on they are an intergraded part that's the main mount plates from the frame horn its self.

the bumpers on your site say ford explorer, im guessing this means 1st gen right? or will they work on both 1st and 2nd gen. also, are these bolt on bumpers or do they have to be welded? what kind of price range do they custom ones run, that u build?

the bumpers on your site say ford explorer, im guessing this means 1st gen right? or will they work on both 1st and 2nd gen. also, are these bolt on bumpers or do they have to be welded? what kind of price range do they custom ones run, that u build?

Winch Bumper, Model: RCB-U
- Fits 83-92 Rangers (first and second generation)
- Fits 83-90 Bronco 2 (first and second generation)
- Fits 92-94 Explorers
- Stylish Design Which Improves Approach Angle
- Mounts Which Fit Most Popular Auxiliary Off-Road Lights
- Fits Most All Standard Winches
- Recovery Mounts Fit ¾ -Inch Clevis
- Fits Standard License Plate
- .500, .250 & .120 –Inch Steel Construction
- 3D Cad Design & Developed
- CNC Laser Cut
- CNC Bent
- Automated Powder Coated Semi Gloss Black
- Welded By Certified Welder

$469.99 Plus Shipping

This is totally “Turn Key”; you just unbolt your OEM bumper and bolt on this BBPFAB.com bumper.

DSC06125.JPG

DSC06126.JPG

As for custom Bumpers, the pricing pends on design and materials.

what about a bumper just like that for a 2nd gen.. but in a kit style.. make us weld and paint/powdercoat it? just a thought .. i don't have any money right now so this is just some thoughts.

I'd like to see a tube bumper with brackets that can be adjusted for body lifts.

This is totally “Turn Key”; you just unbolt your OEM bumper and bolt on this BBPFAB.com bumper.

so in your model of the front end, you don't show the goofy stock mounting tabs. for your bumpers to bolt on, would the buyer need to cut off the stock tabs? i like your work, but i make my own junk(yours isn't junk, mine is:D) but people should know what all your bumper install entails.

kit bumpers are a good idea for people that don't have plasma cutters/other fab equipment but have their own welders.

do you outsource the plate cutting or did you get a cnc plasma table?

did i mention that i like your work?

DSC06125.JPG

i love that bumper...you should make something like that for the second gen.

This thread is trying to give me a good idea of a “Trend” in what you are wanting.

We can sent up a custom bumper design to fit the 2-gen. And I can design and build most anything. I have to build 10 complete welded assembled bumpers for the pricing to be in the area that isn’t crazy high. I CAN NOT afford to build 10 bumpers and have 2 sell as I set on the other 8 and wait. So for me to do a large bumper sale/design I would need down payments/orders of a design.

As for the basic little “weld it yourself” kit, it gives you; winch mount, fairlead mount & center section. It's totally straight forward to assemble and self tabbing/squaring! What's also nice, is that I can do it in 1 and 3 count runs. And do it for a "Not Break The Bank" price.

The best part about the center section kit, is that with my center sections, you can easily add tube to it, and build your own crazy design bumper. I just give you the hardest part and the foundation.

That is what I did with this kit for the 1st gen. Explorer..

DSC06128.JPG

DSC06130.JPG

That allowed the customer to do this…

aaaaaaaaa123.JPG

aaaaaaaaaa.JPG

Also, I 3D cad design all my stuff, I did partner up with a local company and I work with them 5 days a week. They have CNC LASER and CNC bending equipment. NO Plasma table here, the edges are smooth and square!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about these:
protofab bronco.jpg

Photoshopped onto explorer...
Proto Fab on Explorer.jpg

I've actually ordered the materials and am bending up this bumper myself, but I thought that maybe some of you guys would like this one

Back