Let's Talk Guns! | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Let's Talk Guns!

My boss just bought this, he can be such a dumbass sometimes.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 648

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sold my Ruger SR9C yesterday. Decided it wasn't quite right for me. Went and bought a used but immaculate 92SB. The gun is about as old as I am, but looks brand new. Can't wait to hit the range.

If you don't mind me asking, hunterdan, what was it about the SR9C you weren't that fond of?

I'm just curious because I seem to have intermittent trigger reset issues and didn't know if you were dealing with the same thing or if it was something altogether different.

Baddecision93 said:
If you don't mind me asking, hunterdan, what was it about the SR9C you weren't that fond of?

I'm just curious because I seem to have intermittent trigger reset issues and didn't know if you were dealing with the same thing or if it was something altogether different.

The biggest issue was that I wasn't accurate/consistent with it. I never had any actual problems with it. It was fun to shoot, but I should have gone fullsize for my first handgun. It kind of hurt to let it go because it was so reliable for me. But this beretta 92 feels so good in my hand. I had a salesman at the gun shop try to push me towards the glock, but it didn't feel right. Way too light and the grip didn't feel good. I love the weight of the beretta. Range report will follow this coming weekend. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy another ruger if the need for a compact came up. If you're having trigger issues I would try a good thorough cleaning. If that doesn't solve it, Ruger's customer service is excellent from what I hear.

The biggest issue was that I wasn't accurate/consistent with it. I never had any actual problems with it. It was fun to shoot, but I should have gone fullsize for my first handgun. It kind of hurt to let it go because it was so reliable for me. But this beretta 92 feels so good in my hand. I had a salesman at the gun shop try to push me towards the glock, but it didn't feel right. Way too light and the grip didn't feel good. I love the weight of the beretta. Range report will follow this coming weekend. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy another ruger if the need for a compact came up. If you're having trigger issues I would try a good thorough cleaning. If that doesn't solve it, Ruger's customer service is excellent from what I hear.

Finding a gun that feels right for you is 1/2 the battle. Luckily I had access to try a bunch before I switched from my Ruger p90dc to the m&p 45 for my primary pistol. The P90dc was reliable and I was pretty accurate with it even though it was a DA/SA. It just put me behind the curve during IDPA competitions.

As for their customer service, its is very excellent. My brother was having odd feeding issues with his old Ruger P90dc. He drove up to Ruger in Prescott, Az dropped it off and it took them longer to check it in/out etc than it did for them to work on it. He killed some time Downtown Prescott and a few hours later he picked up his pistol, all fixed and they even explained/showed him what was going wrong. Turns out he caused it when he changed from the p90 slide with safety to a p90dc slide (no safety). He has the wrong guide rod in the slide (wrong generation).

Anyway.. When you get the chance, try other pistols and ask what mods have been done.. The m&p I have now I really like but if I didn't know that the one I tried had the apex drop in trigger I would not have been happy with mine as the trigger reset from the factory sucks but I knew which mode to do to make it feel like the one I tried.

~Mark

I see. Mine seems to be a little off but I don't have a bench so I need to take time to go down to the range and get it sighted in. I guess that's the problem with adjustable sights. I've used some other friends' compacts in the meantime and I can get better consistency with theirs than with mine.

I appreciate the tip about cleaning too. I field stripped it and went over it really well and it lowered the frequency of trigger reset issues but it hasn't eliminated it altogether. From what I read the next step is to completely disassemble and clean the striker assembly but that's a little intimidating and I don't shoot a lot so I've been procrastinating.

Anyway, thanks for the info!

I got to try out my latest addition tonight.

7141068191_954e04fe4e_z.jpg

ar-15 by maniak_az, on Flickr

ar-15 in 7.62x39 caliber

~Mark

I was able to get to the range this morning and shoot my new to me beretta. I must say that the ruger was nice, but the beretta is just smoother. I was also way more accurate with the beretta. If I could line the sights up on the target and squeeze the trigger smoothly I would hit point of aim. I do have to get some new magazines, but overall very happy with this range trip and my purchase.

IMG_5444.jpg

i only have side mounted turrets :D

ive shot off the mirrors twice and the rear doors wont open unless the turrets rotate up all the way

I was able to get to the range this morning and shoot my new to me beretta. I must say that the ruger was nice, but the beretta is just smoother. I was also way more accurate with the beretta. If I could line the sights up on the target and squeeze the trigger smoothly I would hit point of aim. I do have to get some new magazines, but overall very happy with this range trip and my purchase.

Get a bunch of dry practice in.

Just in case you don't know.. Dry practice means you practice with NO ammunition around anywhere (At least in the same room)..

Setup a target (don't aim at static object). I just use a sticky note that I can take down when I'm done..

Then, after your 100% positive you unloaded, check again, then aim and slowly press the trigger. If the barrel moves your doing it wrong. Do it for maybe 10 minutes at the most, then when your finished take down the target so you won't be tempted to just aim/shoot as you walk by.

Since I can't get to the range near often enough I do a bunch of dry practice..

While your doing this.. Keep the 3 guns rules in mind.. Don't muzzle anything you don't want destroyed, know your target and beyond, and treat every weapon like it is loaded.

Also, since you have a DA/SA (IIRC), once you press the trigger, keep it trapped. Now run the slide. Once you run the slide you can release the trigger to the reset and press it again.

~Mark

Thats one of my favorite things about http://ammoman.com If you see it on the site, they have it.. I don't like it when things are still listed, but they are out of stock.. (note: aimsurplus does show "out of stock" on the page for the product, which is somewhat good since you can be notified when they get it back).

Unammo is somewhat local to me so usually just call and meet him somewhere in town.

~Mark

checkout this story about DHS buying 450million hollow point rounds i am in the uk bit worrying if its happening, i going to move to the hills.

http://www.beaconequity.com/we-are-preparing-for-massive-civil-war-says-dhs-informant-2012-05-03/

Shot my grandfathers Winchester Model 12 (12ga full choke) shotgun at some trap over lunch today. First time in at least 30 years it's been fired! It didn't skip a beat and I now know why my father said it was his dad's favorite shotgun! It is hands down way nicer than any other shotgun I've used so far.

checkout this story about DHS buying 450million hollow point rounds i am in the uk bit worrying if its happening, i going to move to the hills.

http://www.beaconequity.com/we-are-preparing-for-massive-civil-war-says-dhs-informant-2012-05-03/

I'm not worried about it.. Its an election year so I already expect people to be hoarding ammo and driving the price up anyway.

As for DHS buying the ammo, They have a lot of people and I don't know how old their current ammo is. I'm not "in the know" so I don't know if they are replacing old ammo, or if they even do that.

I don't shoot near as much as I'd like to for practice and competition but I know I can go through 5k-10k rounds a year by myself.

~Mark

Made some new rolling shooting targets and finally got to test them out today! They are 1/2 thick Wearform 400 steel. Circles are 4.5" in diameter for reference.

2365971580084817080S500x500Q85.jpg

762x54R steel cored Russian - small dent @75yds

2218748190084817080S500x500Q85.jpg

45ACP - only dusts it, but does make it roll about perfectly! @25 feet

2257315470084817080S500x500Q85.jpg

One of mine.

s7300392.jpg

Made some new rolling shooting targets and finally got to test them out today! They are 1/2 thick Wearform 400 steel. Circles are 4.5" in diameter for reference.

2365971580084817080S500x500Q85.jpg

762x54R steel cored Russian - small dent @75yds

2218748190084817080S500x500Q85.jpg

45ACP - only dusts it, but does make it roll about perfectly! @25 feet

2257315470084817080S500x500Q85.jpg

I love it..

I need to make something like this. I normally use old bowling pins but if you hit them just right or hit them with certain rounds it doesn't react.

~Mark

I started a new project this weekend. My dad has an old marlin 782 22 mag that hasn't been shot in years and is showing signs of neglect. I've already pulled the stock and stripped the barrel and receiver. I have to sand and polish the barrel since there was some pitting. The receiver was in good shape, but there are tooling marks that I am going to polish out. The stock is going to be refinished as well. Again, going to sand it smooth and depending on the natural color of the wood I may stain or clear it. I'm trying to get a nice highly polished finish from it. Then once I'm done I will top it off with a nice scope.

I got to try out my latest addition tonight.

7141068191_954e04fe4e_z.jpg

ar-15 by maniak_az, on Flickr

ar-15 in 7.62x39 caliber

~Mark

Mark, did you build it? If so, link?

Think I'm gonna build a 7.62 next. Then I'm done with ARs! :p: Maybe...

Mark, did you build it? If so, link?

Think I'm gonna build a 7.62 next. Then I'm done with ARs! :p: Maybe...

I didn't build it. This version is distributed exclusivly via Sports South.
Its actually manufacured by Olympic Arms.

This is my first weapon on the AR platform so I didn't want to jump in building one. I need to get it out some more to see how I like the AR platform. My brother has AR's in 9mm, 22lr, and 223 and really like the interchangability of most parts.

Here are the specs of the k30r16sst.
Features of the K30R16-SST:
• 16" 416 SS Bull barrel
• 7.62x39 Open Chambering with a true .310 bore diameter
• Button Rifled Match Grade SS barrel
• Threaded Muzzle 5/8"x24 tpi
• Picatinny Gas-block
• FIRSH Quad-rail handguard
• Olympic Arms Aluminum Bi-pod mount
• 7075-T6 Forged lower
• 7075-T6 Forged picatinny flat-top upper
• Hard Anodized coating
• Forged detachable carry handle
• 6-position commercial dimension M4 collapsible stock
• Reversible Safe/Semi selector switch
• Ergo Sure-Grip pistol grip
• 7.62x39 Magazine
• O.D. Green Olympic Arms hard case
• GI Sling

Here is a post from the distributor when they released it.
http://www.oa2.org/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=13187#p126135

~Mark

edit: updated pic with the Grip Pod foregrip on it..
7184483004_ee4cc536a9.jpg

Olympic Arms ar-15 by maniak_az, on Flickr
Yes, I know the front sight is on backwards in that pic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well,

I'm ready for some fun.. Time to take out a few...

7377276486_f172f1c619.jpg

Just some Rifle Ammunition by maniak_az, on Flickr
2 Cases of 7.62x39 brass cased ammo (Yugoslavian)
1 Spam can of 7.62x54 on Stripper clips (Russian)
1 Ammo can of.30-06 (Korean)

~Mark

Back