• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Let's Talk Precision Measuring Tools

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
These are transmission clutch pistons, and I need them thinner to add more plates... like .050 off one face kinda stuff.

and they come only come in aluminum...

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
At the risk of hijacking my own thread....

This was about 3 or 4 years ago. I had moved in with my then GF. One night we came home from a play and had left the key to the house/garage door in the house.... so we exited the garage door and she put the garage door opener in her purse.... well it retriggered the garage door and opened it, so it was open all night.

The next AM as I was leaving for work it was apparent we (or more appropriately *I*) had been burgled. The thief took about $2000 worth of tools.... and $1000 worth of other things.

I called the sheriff and they sent someone out to take a report. I missed half a days work. I figured all my stolen stuff was gone.... Including some brand new never used paint guns - that I had inscribed with my driver's license number. and phone number. In fact an unused brand new $300 Sharpe Platinum gun was among those stolen, as was a $15 HF detail gun. With the Inscriptions mentioned.

Fast forward. Several days later, Sat am 6AM. Doorbell rings. Sheriff's officer with a rubber gloved hand holding the HF $15 detail gun at the door. (Found me thru my ex wife and the old phone number - geeze) standing there. "Can you identify this , sir?" he asks.

I did and the bastard, a parolee, went back to prison for 18 mos. THAT was the easy part.

Next I was invited to the sheriff's impound place to identify MY stuff. I recovered some but not all of it. BUT, the micrometers? He had not gotten to them yet (he had been busy grinding off and obliterating my inscriptions on metal) So they were easy to identity. I had to wait until he made a plea deal and went back to prison to get my stuff back. (4 mos)

Thus endeth the case of the purloined micrometers.