Let's talk spools and lockers!

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
I have been doing some searching and came up with zippo!

Can someone explain the function and benefits of going with a Spool vs Locker, I need to understand their function and use better. I know there are a lot of lockers out there. Well more than one confuses me!!

Detroit vs ARB, Eaton etc. For all that matters why not Lincoln Lock the rear.

I have heard of many jeep owners doing a spool front and detroit rear and vice versa.

I want to get some discussion going on them so those of us with little knowledge will have a place to go for info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rather than starting a big discussion on lockers vs. spools and Detroit vs. ARB. I would suggest checking out this web page for a very good explanation on how a differential works and the benifits of a limited slip and a locker. Click here .

Detroit, not the electric one, is permanenty locked, which can be both good and bad depending if it's your daily driver. ARB, and Eaton are selectable locker which you turn them on when you need them, and won't differ unlocked than what you have now.

Detroit, not the electric one, is permanenty locked,
Really? Then why spend the money on it if you can get a spool much cheaper?

Spools are great if you have a dedicated trail rig. Most lockers give you the ability to onroad your rig with little or no inconvenience. There is a brand new spool for sale in the "For Sale" forum if you are interested.

OK I read the how stuff worls site, but it never discussed spools.

Isn't a spool something that locks the rear? basically turning it into an open diff?

I am really more interested in understanding spools and how they compare to lockers. I should have worded the thread better.

A spool locks both axles meaning they are forever turning in unison, so if your driving on the street and you
turn a corner you're going to chirp your tires and steering would be a bit squirly. Thats why a selectable
locker is most preferred because in the unlocked mode the differential can let the outside wheel spin faster than the inside wheel like its supposed to in a turn when driving on the street.
As mentioned before in this thread, its fine for a dedicated trail rig and its the cheapest of any other locker or limited slip for that matter.

If it helps, a spool is the equivalent of a lincoln locker. Instead of welding the spider gears together, it replaces the spider gears. A mini-spool replaces the spider gears, but uses the existing carrier. A full spool replaces the carrier.
An locker (Detroit, powertrax, ARB, etc) also replaces the spider gears with a mechanism that locks the axles together (a lunchbox locker replaces the spider gears only, using the existing carrier. A full carrier locker replaces the entire carrier). A locker, however, has a mechanism, either automatic (powertrax) or user selectable (ARB). That allows the axles to differentiate under certain circumstances.
Hope that helps.

Thanks Mrshorty that was very useful info. It cleared up things alot.

Back