Lets talk weld in beadlocks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lets talk weld in beadlocks

I'm planning on designing my own weld in beadlocks for my B2. I've seen a couple of different weld on styles, some with the inner and outer ring the same, others where the inner ring is slightly smaller so it fits inside the outer rolled lip of the rim. I see advantages of both styles, for example, when the rings are the same size I think it would seal the bead better, but the weldjoint (butt joint) isn't as good, where the smaller inner rings have a good weld joint (j groove) but if your weld isn't smooth it may not seal as good. Also it some what simplifies it if both rings are the same. Any one have experience with either type?

Also for bolting the rings down, some use the threaded inserts, others use plain bolts with nylock nuts. I'm thinking a deformed top lock weld nut on the back of the inner ring would save a lot of time...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most of the weld in locks these days have the inner lock that fits inside the "lip" of the wheel. So I say just go for one of those and call it good. If your weld isnt "smooth", then grind it down so it is flat.

Ok, I'll draw up some and send them to my laser cutter and see how they price out. I'm pretty sure I'm going with weld nuts. I'll be making a set of 16's and 16.5's. I'll be running 16'n on the B2, but I have a set of 16.5 wheels that came with the axles I plan on welding up and selling.

I'd almost skip the 16.5s because that's becoming a more and more rare size. Also tires for that size is a lot more expensive than a 16 or 17.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ya, but I figured it would be easier to sell the wheels after sandblasting them, installing bead locks and painting them. Plus my boss will more than likely not charge me much for any of the laser cut because he likes to encourage "home projects"

id go to a local plasma table shop they can do customize them

id go to a local plasma table shop they can do customize them

Ya, but why would I go to a plasma table shop when I can get them lasered to any size/shape I design? (keep in mind I sit at a computer designing construction/mining equiptment all day anyway...) laser has a much better edge than plasma as long as it is under .5" thick.

Here's mine. I got them from offroad overstock for $239.00 a set.
teardown029.jpg

If you look closely you can see the inner ring.
HPIM0926.jpg

The inner ring sits in the rolled edge of the rim and is only 1" wide. The rim was 8" wide, now it is 8.5 wide. If you weld the inner ring to the outer edge of the rim, it will make the rim 9-9.25 wide.

I don't know about the weld on nuts. If you ever strip a bolt or snap a head off your going to hate it. Just go with the stand nylock nuts set-up.

As for the 16.5. I would make another set of 16" to sell. More demand for them currently.

I got the prices back from my laser cutter. Looks like I can do them for about $45 per wheel. I decided to do the type that weld to the outside of the wheel because I will more than likely be using "stock" steel wheels, so I can get more rim width. If anyone wants some let me know. If you want to calculate your own shipping, its about 15lbs per wheel.

Back