Lifeguard's sas. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifeguard's sas.

Ok, so since my car was towed home yesterday with no breaks i will be starting my sas. :D i am using a d30 front end with RA's that my buddy gave to me when he put a hp d44 under his 97 yukon :cool:. so since i have ben buying barts for over a year now i have almost all the styuff i need. there will be no guts in the axle for a little bit since i had to start on the swap eraly and need my truck back on the road. so on with the pics . i have goten this far in a day and a half. :D

i went thrugh 2 grinders cleening this thing up. lol good thing they wher only $8 from harbor freght
100_0911_00.jpg

100_0914.jpg

still need to weld the perches and set the pinion angle. anyone know an esay way to do that?
100_0916.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most people just set their new perch angle to their stock perch angle. However, with an AAL and Warrior shackles, this angle was too much on mine.

stdgd.gif

Courtesy of IZWack in my thread :D

You want the angles to be pretty damn close in relation to eachother.

section525 said:
Most people just set their new perch angle to their stock perch angle. However, with an AAL and Warrior shackles, this angle was too much on mine.

stdgd.gif

Courtesy of IZWack in my thread :D

You want the angles to be pretty damn close in relation to eachother.
sweet. thanks that helps alot. :D and i now have the frunt end out. i will post pics later cuz my camera died. :(

When i did mine i adjusted it ever so slightly, in fact its not noticiable, glad to see that keeping it the same angle as the old perches works :D.

did you remove a leaf out of each leaf pack or is that normal for a sport 1st gen?

i had an add-a-leaf but i took it out cuz i have to use the stock f-150 coils for the time being. but ya the 2 door first gens only had 2 leefs and an over load.

Ahh i see. I took out a leaf when i did my soa on my 4 door so it wouldnt be too high since i only had a 2" lift at the front.

Good luck with your SAS btw :D

thanks i will need it. ok time for more pics.
i can see why my breaks went out. the pad was spit right out of the caliper. good thing i was in a parking lot when it hapind.
100_0919.jpg

and i also know why it woldent keep an alinment.
100_0924.jpg

anod now its all out. :D
100_0921.jpg

100_0922.jpg

Were are the bearing caps? Please tell me they are marked and you know exactly which side and which way they go back on... if not this housing is trash.

Attachments

• 100_0912_00.jpg
    100_0912_00.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 3,582

That makes the housing trash? I took mine out and replaced them. they seem just fine--i mean the axle is so scraped it looks like trash now but i dont think its trashed........yet

why do they have to go back the same way? i took them off about a year ago, when i got the axle. o well i gues i will just have to go to the junk yard and get a new one when i have money for gears.

james t said:
Were are the bearing caps? Please tell me they are marked and you know exactly which side and which way they go back on... if not this housing is trash.

I've heard this too... and instantly drew a map of my axle in a piece of cardboard and stuck the caps in it. But what is the theory behind it?

Is it the same theory behind keeping the pushrods in the same place you removed them from? What is the deal King James?

The bearing caps are line bored with the journals. Get them mixed up, and it will eat carrier bearings like nobody's business. You can have a machine shop re-bore a new set, but it will cost more than a new front end.

james t said:
The bearing caps are line bored with the journals. Get them mixed up, and it will eat carrier bearings like nobody's business. You can have a machine shop re-bore a new set, but it will cost more than a new front end.

Good thing you brought this up. I went outside to check on mine.. and my diagram was almost faded away. :eek: This could have been disasterous!!

Maybe this is a sign I should install them back into the axle? :p

Back on topic.. what should someone like lifeguard do?

Attachments

• caps.jpg
    caps.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 3,556

Find the old caps or get another axle......

well i had to work today so i didnt get alot done. got the rear peches tacked in. i also got the frunt end in for some mesurements.
100_0925.jpg

100_0926.jpg

still need to get the TTB brakets out.

When I had my gears done, they lost my caps some how :confused: Moron's! :fire: So they had to remachine both of the axles....or at least they said they did :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:D well i kinda got it siting under it oun weaght today. kinda. nothing was welded in just wanted to see where the springs wold sit. i think it looks ok for now, just the stock springs that came with the RA's.
100_0928.jpg

100_0927.jpg

And i got the RA mounts wher i want them. Any body know if the trany cros member will be ok like ths of will i need to make a guset for strangth?
100_0929.jpg

100_0930.jpg

Back