• Register Today It's free!

lift 2wd, why?

hatched91

Reaction score
City, State
godfrey, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport ohv 5spd
i know there are people out there that lift 2wd trucks. Why is that? I'm not critizing it or anything, but what are they used for, mudding? rockcrawling? looks? jumping sand dunes like prerunners? i'm in the midwest. All we have are mud trails so 4x4 is pretty much the only option for wheeling around here if you want to not get stuck. Just from personal experience, 4x2 is no good in the mud. i was just curious as to what people used it for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why start useless threads about topics that have already been discussed 1000 times before?

im 2wd, and thats what my car is, i wasn't at disposal of any car i wanted, this is what i got so i make the best of it, i lifted mine because, yeah i think it looks good, but i go mudding too, but i dont do things that are obviously beyond me and stupid, and also i always travel with friends so i have somebody to bail me out, one day i will SAS 4wd conversion, but thats $3k later.

A lifted 2wd will do fine offroad on general trails with the propper gears and traction aids. Personally i think the best option for a 2wd is a prerunner....they work great for that!

a 2wd prerunner type truck is much cheaper and easier to build than a 4x.

plus i have yet to get stuck in any sand with my 4x2 open dif.

with enough speed you can get through anything haha.Preruners are bad ass...if i lived "out west" i'd be building a prerunner instad of an sas'd trail rig :D

CodePoet said:
with enough speed you can get through anything haha.Preruners are bad ass...if i lived "out west" i'd be building a prerunner instad of an sas'd trail rig :D
now thats what i like to hear! :D

heres a "lifted 2wd" showing a little articulation
www_plus613_com_fabrication.jpg

Fawkin awsome man..preruners kick ass! Unfortunatly around here it's just not practicale :(. God willing my business idear will take off and i'll be able to build a pre-runner as a test bed vehicle!

Why lift a 2wd -To be pimp of course...JK w 2wd with a rear locker will out preform a stock 4x4 with the right driver it does have it limits but with more ground clearance, bigger tires, and a locker/LS. You can out preform many 4x4's.

You posted the same **** like a month ago....why you posting again? Just to start trouble?

me? if it's me your talking about i don't remember posting it...sorry if i already did, like i stated, i'm not trying to get everyone on the forums pissed off at me, but i was just wondering what the reason was for it, and i've gotten some pretty good responses. I wasn't sure whether prerunners were 2 or 4wd, but 2wd makes sense as long as u don't sink into the sand, i don't know i've never been around a sandy place before. I never really thought about the ground clearance issue, another good point proven. As far as the look goes, i think it's cool if you just want a 2wd to lift for show. I think lifted trucks look great! I am big into show, i mean it's so much fun to go wheelin' in a trail ready rig that has all the trail parts, (big steel bumpers, roll bar, lockers, snorkel, big lights, all of the functional parts), but i also want something that looks good lifted that someone doesn't say "redneck" everytime they see it(not to say a trail-ready rig looks bad). Again, i'm NOT saying 2wd is bad, it just makes logical sense to me that if someone was building a mud or trail rig, they'd want 4wd, but i guess that's just from my experiences with the trails around me.

4wd SAS manual floorboard shift swap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yelexp:

you lift a 2wd truck for the same reason you lift anything, to fit larger tires for more traction and more ground clearance.
Some people do it just for looks :)

Love my (Wife's) 4x2 sport. 31's, L/S rear, handles snow and dirt great. Just need to do the L/S shimming to make it a tad tighter when we get the 4.10's (or 4.30/4.56) installed. The current plan is to do a 3" lifted spindle, 4 door springs (factory mono-leaf :mad:) and 32" or 33" tires.

Does just what we need it to do, gets 25mpg hiway and weighs 500lbs less. Works for us!

the last of this has a small mud run i did in my 2wd x...

th_92x.jpg

Picture086.jpg

i also have a F250 on 35's i use just for mud'n , they dont steer as good as a 4x4 , but geting through it is NO problem...

316887_29_full.jpg

316887_27_full.jpg

316887_28_full.jpg

316887_36_full.jpg

because, IM RICK JAMES, thats why!!!!

11574Picture_002_Small_.jpg

PS: this truck is no longer riding 37s, i washed it with hot water on accident one day, and it shrunk to 31"s

I'm new here, so don't yell at me :) I just bought a 93 Explorer 4X2 for .25/lb ($1000). I bought it from a girl who bought it new, and although it has 230K miles, I swear it runs and shifts great. Its unstable as hell and pulls right like there are mega-magnets on the curb, but the tie rods and links appear to be tight. It has cheapo worn out tires, which I think is the root to most of the handling issues. Here's the point of the post: I think I'd like to get an alignment (I-beam suspension) and add 31's all around. Since I obviously don't want to sink any more money into it than I need to, and still have it look kinda old-school cool I'm thinking about leaving the rear alone, except good gas (possiply coil-over) shocks and somehow get the front up about 2 inches, and use good shocks up there too. Any suggestions about this? Thanks!

I'm new here, so don't yell at me :) I just bought a 93 Explorer 4X2 for .25/lb ($1000). I bought it from a girl who bought it new, and although it has 230K miles, I swear it runs and shifts great. Its unstable as hell and pulls right like there are mega-magnets on the curb, but the tie rods and links appear to be tight. It has cheapo worn out tires, which I think is the root to most of the handling issues. Here's the point of the post: I think I'd like to get an alignment (I-beam suspension) and add 31's all around. Since I obviously don't want to sink any more money into it than I need to, and still have it look kinda old-school cool I'm thinking about leaving the rear alone, except good gas (possiply coil-over) shocks and somehow get the front up about 2 inches, and use good shocks up there too. Any suggestions about this? Thanks!

uummmmm, my suggestion would be to NOT resurrect and then hijack a 3yr old thread.......:rolleyes:

1.) Use the "search" feature first, or just browse through the various sections of the forum. Yes, you might spend a couple hours reading through a bunch of threads. You'll probably learn something.

2.) IF, you don't find an answer, which you probably will, then post your own thread in the appropriate forum.

As for the newness... if you're not sure where the right place to post things is, look around the site first. Putting posts/questions in the right place greatly increases your chance of getting an answer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With respect OB1, What could POSSIBLY be discussed that hasn't already? Please disregard my post, and I'll kindly unsubscribe to the forum. Too much bickering going on anyway, for my taste.

Good Night, Sir.

Back