Lift 3rd Gen 02-05: Good Guys Auto Sales | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift 3rd Gen 02-05: Good Guys Auto Sales

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's beginning to set in is desperation. Third gen owners are looking for anything now, any lift that "appears" functional gets attention. I wouldn't put my family in that vehicle or any (massively) lifted 3rd at this time because as you know the lift does not exist - it's just an illusion (otherwise the people that assemble that "lift" would be here to discuss it - they read these posts).

And based on what you say about the steering, sounds like something that could just snap while you are driving. I would bet that 90%+ of the people that bought one of those bought it based on looks alone (and in So Cal, that's how things are done). Your knowledge of this subject is outstanding! :salute:

i appreciate the compliment man... u have a good way of making someone feel good about what they do haha... i appreciate all the compliments u send my way... good luck with ur red beast and it looks great already

If you go to the Good Guys web site and look up that X in picture 13 you'll see a shot of the dash........... It's not even a 4wd. That would make lifting it a little easier. I'm going to call them and see what they do to lift them.............. OK I just talked to them and the guy said FOX shocks and a Fab-Tech suspension lift. He said it is NOT a body lift.

Yankee

sounds believable... i think the FOX shocks may be air shocks... idk where fabtech makes a suspension lift for a 3rd gen unless its ancient... thats a pretty interesting response from the dealer

I just e-mailed them I'm going to try to get some answers and part numbers.I called them again and the guy just told me it's 80% suspension 20% body lift. He said it's a 6in. lift. I'll post up when I learn more.
Yankee

I'm wondering .......... FOX shocks for the suspension and FabTech for the body lift???? Just an Idea.

Yankee......Over and Out!!!:salute:

Just called Fabtech....They make nothing for 3rd gen.

so you really think they'd sell these even if they were dangerous and so unfunctional?

I'm not saying its untrue....but it seems like they'd have been shut down by now if that was the case..

hah but all ik is if we find out what it is this is what my mountys gonna look like(got bored in ps)

beastmountaineer.jpg

As long as they don't violate any vehicle codes, and you sign an agreement stating that you understand the dangers of a lifted/modified vehicle, yes they can sell it. An addendum will be added stating something like, "You agree to arbitration if..." And they know that most people will only use that vehicle on the street, studies show. So if you buy it, you assume all risks.

Dont quote me on this but i do remember reading some of the vehicle codes that do state you cannot alter a lift kit to fit a vehicle it wasnt designed for. Im not 100% sure but i swear i read that somewhere. Just like here in cali a SOA conversion is now against the vehicle code.

Retracted... thanks!

well, i personally hope that the folks from good guys ARE reading this, because i would like to go on record stating that EACH AND EVERY LIFT they sell is a piece of crap. they are crooks, and i tell that to everyone i hear about trying to buy a car or truck from them. they prey on young military guys, with their first taste of money in their pockets.

I have a EX that was purchased at Good Guys in San Diego. It's an 02 with a 3 innch body lift with the larger springs and struts. I have taken it across country and it has done fine. The only problem was the return hose to the radiator was stretched and rubbed in the belt. It wore out the idler arm puller and and belt tensioner and belt of course I replaced all for about 89 bucks and put in a custom hose. I have taken it off road and it will go anywhere my buddies f250 diesel will go. No problems. The vehicle was lifted by san diego customs before it went to good guys. Oh and I didn't pay 30,000 for it either try 11,500 with less than 50,000 miles on it. No problems what so ever. Oh one thing I had to modify the exhaust, up and over the frame and the spare tire to pass north Carolina emmissions. Used flowmasters sounds great....

Could you please take some pics of your suspension setup and post them for us?

Thanks

??? Where ya been?

I have a EX that was purchased at Good Guys in San Diego. It's an 02 with a 3 innch body lift with the larger springs and struts. I have taken it across country and it has done fine. The only problem was the return hose to the radiator was stretched and rubbed in the belt. It wore out the idler arm puller and and belt tensioner and belt of course I replaced all for about 89 bucks and put in a custom hose. I have taken it off road and it will go anywhere my buddies f250 diesel will go. No problems. The vehicle was lifted by san diego customs before it went to good guys. Oh and I didn't pay 30,000 for it either try 11,500 with less than 50,000 miles on it. No problems what so ever. Oh one thing I had to modify the exhaust, up and over the frame and the spare tire to pass north Carolina emmissions. Used flowmasters sounds great....

It's nice to hear from you! and hope you can share some of the pics... Did we get the military part right, Pendleton to Lejeune? And since you know about vehicles, would you be able to perform that lift on any 3rd gen Ex?

What's the tire size? Interior comfy? Details por favor... thanks!

The other problem with lifting a 3rd gen is, remember the cv axle goes through the middle of the frame. There is not to much room there to lift before you have problems:rolleyes:

On the other hand, I'm all up for some one donating a 3rd gen to me to swap my axles over too! :D Yes a double SAS. :thumbsup: Still waiting for someone to do it.:( I saw a 3rd gen in the junkyard the other day and it didn't look to hard;)

No technical skills here...

I know zip about technical issue, and I wouldn't lift my ex that high... But this is the first person (member too!) to come and talk about what they're driving from GG... There are more reading these posts, but they are mum right now... not sure why though. And if the member is reading, all of GG is reading... :D

But if they don't want to speak, oh well $$$$$ lost. :( It could really increase their sales to talk about how they (and SD Customs) do it... I think they have someone monitor this thread regularly, and they don't want to explain for reasons unknown, what they do.

If I were one of their people (GG or SD) I guess I be silent based on some type of agreement signed with the employers... or maybe they just aren't as kicka$$ as fattyb - And something tells me fattyb will have pics of him, the Ex and his buddies... he probably read this post long ago, and wanted to respond, but couldn't. (I'll be in SD soon, I'll just blend in with the crowds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not holding my breath for the pics...

:scratch:

Back