Lift and Other Questions

DingoNatas

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer E.B.
1997 Explorer E.B. V8 AWD,
I'm lifting my rig with a TT and WAR 153s. I'd like to smooth out the ride, any recommendations on shocks? I'll be putting larger tires on my rig, for medium off road usage. Besides the spedo change out, what other concerns should I have in going with bigger tires? Lastly will 33s fit with a TT, WAR 153s, and fender slicing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you go to the wheels and tires section there is a sticky thread at the top of the page that shows the max wheel size with each lift. I can't post a link because I'm on a phone but that should give you a good idea on what will work

I'm running 33's on my 02.

I'm not looking to start a **** storm again, but here is what I'm running and my thoughts.

First on the back I went with new springs that are the heaviest I could find, and put a set of Warriors on. I ende up with 3 1/2 " of lift.

Up front I put in new torsion keys and had to crank my bars down to stay at 2" of lift.

Some say the torsion keys are a waste, but my experience is that the ride is less harsh than before.

I put the Ranchos up front which are made for the txt lift and the Monroe coilovers in the back.

My truck rides better than it ever did before.

I'm running 33 X 10 1/2's and the only trimming I had to do was the plastic trim pieces on the outside of the front wheel wells.

I cut those back flush with the fenders and have never rubbed.

MT

I'm running 33's on my 02.

I'm not looking to start a **** storm again, but here is what I'm running and my thoughts.

First on the back I went with new springs that are the heaviest I could find, and put a set of Warriors on. I ende up with 3 1/2 " of lift.

Up front I put in new torsion keys and had to crank my bars down to stay at 2" of lift.

Some say the torsion keys are a waste, but my experience is that the ride is less harsh than before.

I put the Ranchos up front which are made for the txt lift and the Monroe coilovers in the back.

My truck rides better than it ever did before.

I'm running 33 X 10 1/2's and the only trimming I had to do was the plastic trim pieces on the outside of the front wheel wells.

I cut those back flush with the fenders and have never rubbed.

MT

Agreed on the **** storm! I have 2, one 4 door and a sport, both run 33/12.5/15 on 15x8 wheels with 4.5 BS. the sport has 4 door rear springs with AAL and shackles, TT up front and minor trimming. The 4 door has the F150 spring swap in the rear, shackles and tt up front with a little more carving as its an EB. Both use pro comp shocks and ride and drive better than stock in my opinion with no rubbing.

My 96 has a 1.5 TT, Long AAL and Warrior shackles. It's sitting on 32x11.50x15's on I think 4" backspace wheels. I had to trim some but if I pulled my front mud flaps and did some body trimming/massaging I could probably make them fit (33x11.50's). All in all I'm happy with my 32x11.50's.

I have oil filled Ranchos's up front and adjustable gas filled rancho's out back. The rear adjustable's really helped dial in the ride. I'm running at setting 4 and it's perfect, not too hard that my axle jumps but not to soft that it's a mushy ride like a car. Ride is a bit hard but not too bad. I'm used to all my vehicles riding harder so to me it's not really a big deal but I could make it ride better if I backed my rear shocks off some.

For some reason no one's mentioned gearing..

Before you up the tire size, make sure you have at least 3.73 gears in your axles.

Torsion lift pics

Maybe one of you can help. I did the torsion twist on my rig and the CV joint angles seem extreme. The specs seem correct. Factory ~ 4" add 2" of lift and with 5 - 3/4" I'm within the my 6" window. Thoughts?

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4A3EFFB96CCECA37!440&authkey=!ALHYoXsa5DpYjh0&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

redir

Not sure if the images worked.

I have a '96 Eddie Bauer with TT, and warrior 153's, I am running cragar soft 8's, so the center of the rim is where I mount to the hub. the tires are 31's. I have NO issues with rubbing. although while looking at it, you would have an issue with rubbing with 33's, and maybe even 32's. especially at the rear of the front fender where the fender flares are, and at the front bumper. Also keep in mind that your ride will be something similar to driving a tank, you will feel every single bump. now I also have upgraded leaf springs, and monroe sensatrak shocks all the way around, but the ride is pretty rough.

Did the pictures come through?

Before you up the tire size, make sure you have at least 3.73 gears in your axles.

Um... What's this? Why? And, thank you for bringing to my attention something new.

He says 5.0 V8, should be 373 from the factory, that's why I didn't mention it. my 4 door is 373 and my sport is 410 both with 33s and you hardly notice a difference between the 2 as far as gearing is concerned

Um... What's this? Why? And, thank you for bringing to my attention something new.

When you up the tire size on anything, you want to make sure the gear ratio is compatible with the upgrade to keep everything healthy in the driveline and to keep the speedo where it should be if that is a concern, its not for me. As I said I have 33s on both my trucks, one is a 1997 4 door EB with a 4.0 SOHC with 373s, the other is a 1997 sport 410 gears and the SOHC, they seem very close in performance, but the sport is slightly happier with the 410s

I ran ProComps on my Bronco for a long time, but there's no comparison with the Bilsteins that replaced them. I contacted Bilstein directly to determine what part numbers to use based on the lift and application, then ordered from shockwarehouse.com. The 5165 series are remote reservoir universal units, very happy with them.

Back