• Register Today It's free!

Lift/Front Suspension Question

xshift28x

Reaction score
City, State
Katy, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLT
So I bought my 01' Ex already lifted with a shock hoop and fox racing shock set up in the front and I believe a shackle lift in the rear. My problem is, is that with the single gas shock, my ex rides like $*** at 65-70 miles an hour. I know I have the option of going the coil over route for the front but I was thinking about going back to the stock suspension setup and lifting the front to match the rear. I know I can pick up most of the parts at the local pick-a-part, my question is exactly what do I need to go back to the stock set up and what do I need to do with the lift to match the 4" rear lift? (I think that is about what it is lifted)

Well, first off what is it that you want to do? Go to stock configuration front, or stay lifted? Your inquire is a Little confusing.

If you are wanting to go back to stock configuration, then you will need the stock spindles, shocks up front and may have to undo the TT that the torsion bars may have, which may need to include new TB keys. On the rear you will need to take out the AAL if it has it to get the rear down and remove the shackles and replace them with the stock shackles and stock shocks.

Why do you say it rides like sh*t at higher speed? What is it doing or not doing? I am kinda confused to why you bought a lifted X if you are going to take it back to stock configuration, as there are too many for sale in stock ride.

Do you want to keep the ride ht as it sits now and fix what is wrong with it, or what you think is wrong with it? If you do, then tell me what you are experiencing first before you go looking for a needle in a hay stack as per say.

Sorry I should have been more clear. I bought the EX lifted because I wanted the lift, however I'm not happy with the way it rides at higher speeds, it shakes pretty bad and is bumpy as hell. Part of me has the feeling that it is the combination of the MT tires I have on there now and the front suspension. The only thing absorbing anything is the single fox racing shocks I have up front. So what I want to do is put the stock suspension components back in and lift it from there to match my rear lift and swap the 33 MT's with some 32 AT's. I hope that makes more sense. Right now my suspension consists of a shock hoop and the gas shock, no springs or anything.

Does the front have aftermarket spindles on it, or is it a TT lift? And how is the rear lifted? I can not vision that a stock spindle and a gas shock lifting this X to be able to clear 33's.

Have you checked the tire wear on those front tires to give you any indicator of a out of alignment issue? Or have you checked to see the condition of the balljoints, tierods and UCA's and LCA"s and bushings for worn out parts?

A single shock setup is all you need up front anyway, but if there is bad suspension parts up front, the shock is not going to be able to mask over those issues at hand.

Back