• Register Today It's free!

Lift gate ajar

kenc195

Reaction score
City, State
Chandler Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer 2WD V8
2002 Mountaineer on the message center it says the lift gate is ajar and the courtesy lights stay on for a very long tome. I bought a new door sensor switch and pulled apart the lift gate, pulled the old switch, tested with ohm meter and It worked on/off fine. Put the new switch in anyhow an reassembled. Same problem, took the new switch out and replaced it with the functional old switch

Took the lift gate glass door switch apart and found the switch to be physically broken (2 pieces), excellent, put in the new switch, reassembled and I still have the same problem.

There are a lot of door ajar posts on here but very little for lift gate ajar. The real problem is the automatic headlights doesn't go off and the courtesy lights run 20-30 minutes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a lot of door ajar posts on here but very little for lift gate ajar. The real problem is the automatic headlights doesn't go off and the courtesy lights run 20-30 minutes.

Can't help you with the lift gate ajar issue, but to keep the inner courtesy lights from staying on you can just turn them off by using the "roller dimmer switch" on the dash. Roll the switch downward until you feel a "click" and the dash and courtesy/dome lights will be turned off until you can source out the lift gate issue.

I went into the system and set the headlamps auto delay to zero after my battery died last year. I think it was set to 30 seconds or something, but I never need them to stay on after I turn the key off, so I just set it to zero. Much easier on the battery for sure.

I've never had the lift gate ajar issue, so I'm no help there.

Hey man I had the same problem with my liftgate, what I did was jump the 2 wires for the switch together ( cut the sensor wires and wirenut them together) and you will not get that liftgate ajar on your dash anymore. Don't worry your rear hatch sensor will still work when you open the main rear hatch door just your liftgate sensor will not say ajar anymore when you open it. So what it will take away that annoying liftgate ajar light and you don't have to worry about your domelights staying on or you alarm sounding randomly when you are parked.

I drained my alarm horns as a result and have had to change my battery twice during my year of figuring out what was going on. When I hit speedbumps the ajar light on the dash would ding on and off. It was the liftgate sensor and you Will probably notice it is loose when you wiggle it. It was too difficult to remove the sensor because the actuator and latch are in the way so I just cut the wires off and jumped them together.

Back