Lift Gate Gas Strut Failure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift Gate Gas Strut Failure

fordgt6

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountainer
The passenger side rear gas strut came flying off my 2016 the other day. It detached from the door post. Tried to reattach but it kept popping off. It was worn after only 4 months from new. The dealer replaced it under warranty and told us they had another 2016 with the same problem only two days earlier. Looking at from my mechanical engineer's perspective, it looks like it doesn't have the right angle to seat causing the plastic to prematurely wear thus giving it extra "play" which causes the metal clip to lose grip. The newly installed strut does not look like it is fully seated and will have the same problem. We don' use it very much so it doesn't get many open/close cycles. That is my opinion of the problem. Anyone have the same problem?

You are the first to ever report a strut popping off on the 5th Gen Explorers (11-17MY)

I use my rear lift gate at least 4 times a day and no issues yet; plus I don't wait for it to open its own and force it manually.

The passenger side rear gas strut came flying off my 2016 the other day. It detached from the door post. Tried to reattach but it kept popping off. It was worn after only 4 months from new. The dealer replaced it under warranty and told us they had another 2016 with the same problem only two days earlier. Looking at from my mechanical engineer's perspective, it looks like it doesn't have the right angle to seat causing the plastic to prematurely wear thus giving it extra "play" which causes the metal clip to lose grip. The newly installed strut does not look like it is fully seated and will have the same problem. We don' use it very much so it doesn't get many open/close cycles. That is my opinion of the problem. Anyone have the same problem?
As blwnsmoke mentioned, this is the first such report posted on this Forum. Take it back to the dealer as it will be a warranty repair.
This is your first post since joining in September 2012?? Welcome aboard.:salute:
It would help if you added the 2016 and the trim level (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile or to your signature. Thanks.

Peter

Back