Lift gate will open but NOT the rear window? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift gate will open but NOT the rear window?

SyberTiger

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited 4x4 4.6L
No problem with the lift gate operation but the rear window will no longer pop open. I can hear the actuator when I hit the rear window button on the lift gate but nothing else happens. The gas struts on the lift gate and rear window where changed out last year.

The actuator sounds just like it always does so I'm assuming there isn't a problem. Any ideas fellas?

I believe there is a cable from the actuator to the latch, to get to it you need to remove the interior trim from the door. I haven't done it my self but have read about it. you can find a picture of the mechanism on Rockauto site. http://www.rockauto.com/info/42/937-664-001__ra_p.jpg

Is the rear window panel appliqué cracked, if so that will let water in and rust the mechanism.

I believe there is a cable from the actuator to the latch, to get to it you need to remove the interior trim from the door. I haven't done it my self but have read about it. you can find a picture of the mechanism on Rockauto site. http://www.rockauto.com/info/42/937-664-001__ra_p.jpg

Is the rear window panel appliqué cracked, if so that will let water in and rust the mechanism.

Nope, the plastic panel is not cracked. I figured it might be a stretched cable based on videos for other Ford products but I could not find any material specific to the 2002 - 2005 3rd generation Explorer. I was trying to find the exploded parts diagram to see if there is a cable you can purchase by itself. I'm guessing that either you can't purchase just the cable or if you could it's difficult to get it installed in an already assembled unit.

I've read where an easy solution is to effectively shorten the cable using a cable tie. In the picture below, you'd put a cable tie between the end-of-cable ball (in red circle) and the backplate. By zipping the cable tie tight and cutting off the excess you'd effective shorten the cable by 1/4" for each cable tie you installed. I suppose you could also use a split lead fishing weight too.

man%20937-664%20Tailgate%20Lock%20Actuator%20Cable.jpg

%20937-664%20Tailgate%20Lock%20Actuator%20Assembly.jpg

Back