• Register Today It's free!

Lift gate won't close

BAJ1

Reaction score
City, State
Twin Cities, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 Explorer Limited 4WD
I have a 2017 Explorer Limited which I've had for 18 months.

I use the lift gate frequently without issue, but in the last week I've had it happen twice that the lift gate wouldn't close. I tried the button on the lift gate, the button on the dash, and the remote. I tried stopping the engine, restarting the engine, locking and unlocking the doors, and finally just had to push the gate down manually.

I realized a common thread, in both cases I opened the lift gate when the engine was off, then started the engine, then the lift gate would not close.

Is this a known issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Battery reset to see if can eliminate some electronic gremlins?

I don't think that the state of the engine should have any effect on the opening/closing procedure. I've hit the close button on the 'gate' and then jumped in and started the engine without any issues. Although you didn't mention it, I'm guessing it is opening normally? Do any chimes sound when you attempt to close it?
Try setting a different opening height for the liftgate assuming the opening feature works. Then close it and hit any button to open it. If it stops at the new height, open it completely manually and reset that height, close manually and then press a button to open it and then see if it will close when a button is pressed.
The 2016+ Manuals don't seem to have the Reset Liftgate Procedure in it.
Here is what the 2015 Manual says about Resetting The Liftgate.
Resetting the Power Liftgate
The liftgate may not operate properly and you may need to reset it if any
of these conditions occur:
• A low voltage or dead battery
• A disconnected battery
• You manually close the liftgate and leave it ajar (unlatched)
To reset the power liftgate:
1. Disconnect the battery for 20 seconds then, reconnect the battery.
2. Manually close and fully latch the liftgate.
3. Power open the liftgate by using the transmitter or the instrument
panel control button.

Peter

I don't think that the state of the engine should have any effect on the opening/closing procedure. I've hit the close button on the 'gate' and then jumped in and started the engine without any issues.

Yeah, but that's not my problem. I can hit the close the button and start the engine and all is fine as well. It worked fine four times today and yesterday, so 8/8 since the last failure (when I started the engine with the lift gate open). The close function works 100% of the time when I DON'T open the lift gate, start the engine, and try to close the lift gate.

Although you didn't mention it, I'm guessing it is opening normally? Do any chimes sound when you attempt to close it?

Open always works. When this failure occurs there is absolutely ZERO acknowledgement from the vehicle that the buttons have been pushed, any of the buttons.

I'm thinking they have a firmware glitch. The car is losing track of the lift gate open status (getting reset to closed) when the engine is started, and it's stuck until the lift gate is manually closed. The lift gate works fine (open and close) after manual closing.

The chimes should only sound when the liftgate begins to close. I know that I've had the liftgate open and the started the Explorer and hit the close button on the dash and it closed. I don't believe I've read about your specific issue here before. Did you try the battery disconnect (negative cable)?

Peter

I tried to reproduce it in my driveway, but could not. It's happened twice since my original post. The last time I pressed the close button on the hatch but started the engine before it completely closed, although it appeared to be closed, but the lift gate open indicator showed on the dash. The lift gate wouldn't open or close with any of the buttons at this point. I was able to manually open the lift gate, but again it would not close under power, I had to close it manually. The next time I started the car the lift gate worked as expected.

I should mention all 4 times this has happened I have been about to leave a parking lot after a fat bike ride, so I'm guessing there must be a sequence or timing or something going on.

Did you start the vehicle all 4 times before the 'gate' closed? Although it shouldn't affect the closing I was curious. Did you try the 'Reset' procedure?

Peter

Any update on this?

Any update on this?
Hey so I came to this thread as my lift gate is giving me issues. It opens half way. Then if you press the button it opens full way. Press the button again and the chimes sound and it just tries to open more. It won’t close. I can only manually close it. We tried disconnecting the battery and it didn’t help. Any other suggestions?

Hey so I came to this thread as my lift gate is giving me issues. It opens half way. Then if you press the button it opens full way. Press the button again and the chimes sound and it just tries to open more. It won’t close. I can only manually close it. We tried disconnecting the battery and it didn’t help. Any other suggestions?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I wonder if it could be the motor that is causing the issue, but try this first. When it is fully open, press and hold the liftgate control button on the liftgate until you hear a tone. Then see if it will operate normally. If not then it is not the setting that is the issue. The chimes should only sound when it is about to close.

Peter

Hi Mir Hopko :
Did you find a solution ? I have the exact same problem. Thanks a lot.

Hi Mir Hopko :
Did you find a solution ? I have the exact same problem. Thanks a lot.
Welcome to the Forum / Bienvenue sur le forum. :wave:
Did you try what I mentioned in my reply to that member? One thing you could try is to disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes and then reconnect to see if that helps. Keep in mind that you will likely lose some saved memory settings doing this. Good luck.

Peter

Hi, I'm having an issue with my 2021 Explorer Limited liftgate. The liftgate will open using any button or handsfree under the bumper but when I try to close it it there are 3 quick chimes but it doesn't move. I've tried the battery reset, liftgate height adjustment and cleaned all the sensors around the liftgate but nothing has worked. I'm trying not to take it back to the dealership but that's probably my next step.

Hi, I'm having an issue with my 2021 Explorer Limited liftgate. The liftgate will open using any button or handsfree under the bumper but when I try to close it it there are 3 quick chimes but it doesn't move. I've tried the battery reset, liftgate height adjustment and cleaned all the sensors around the liftgate but nothing has worked. I'm trying not to take it back to the dealership but that's probably my next step.
According to the Manual, a tone will sound if there is an issue with the opening/closing of the liftgate. A repetitive tone seems to indicate it is closing normally. In your case I think a visit to the dealership may be required. Everything is under warranty.

Peter

According to the Manual, a tone will sound if there is an issue with the opening/closing of the liftgate. A repetitive tone seems to indicate it is closing normally. In your case I think a visit to the dealership may be required. Everything is under warranty.

Peter
Yeah, I think I'll take it to the dealership and let them fix it. Thanks

Did you find an answer to your issue? Here is a link to my thread citing the same issue, see my video too.

I have the same problem… any solutions?

Welcome to the Forum / Bienvenue sur le forum. :wave:
Did you try what I mentioned in my reply to that member? One thing you could try is to disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes and then reconnect to see if that helps. Keep in mind that you will likely lose some saved memory settings doing this. Good luck.

Peter
Thank you!
Unfortunately yes… I have tried everything.
It started in the extreme cold we had here and has not resolved. I can not visually see anything broken. I am not sure if we may have a faulty part, but there are so many things it could be. Would a code reader potentially be able to detect an insane in the background?
Thank you for your time.
Kristen

Welcome to the Forum Kristen. :wave:
Does it open without any issues? When you press the liftgate button from on the 'gate' or use the fob or the dash button, do you get the chimes?
I believe a normal close results in 3 chimes whereas a rapid series of chimes indicates and issue.
BTW, the member you quoted was last seen here on January 3, 2021. It was his one and only post and unfortunately, as happens all too often, no follow-up.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Kristen. :wave:
Does it open without any issues? When you press the liftgate button from on the 'gate' or use the fob or the dash button, do you get the chimes?
I believe a normal close results in 3 chimes whereas a rapid series of chimes indicates and issue.
BTW, the member you quoted was last seen here on January 3, 2021. It was his one and only post and unfortunately, as happens all too often, no follow-up.

Peter
Hi Peter,

It opens as if it is normal but only to about a foot open whether it is by remote, button in the cabin, or on the lift gate. Then I have to press it over and over to get it to the desired height one foot at a time. It does not close by itself, I have to do it manually, it just keeps trying to open further instead of closing. Once closed it does latch.

Kristen

Back