• Register Today It's free!

Lift installed

Scotts96sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer 5.0 rwd
finally finished up installing all the parts on this thing. Spindle lift, rear springs and shackles, ranchos, all new control arms and bushings, inner and outer tie rods, on 33/12.5r15 with 10x15” steel.
I want to raise the back a little more, maybe a ******* pack. I need to finish up welding up the bumper into something coolish and make a rear bumper.
If anyone wants any of the stock parts that came off this just let me know!
Just wanted to show this off a little, thanks!

234119AC-9AD9-4A2E-A1BD-1C3CDD79F3E7.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sick what did you paint it with is that bedliner?

Yeah buddy, rattle can bed liner!

I used rust-oleum, the cheaper one, not pro or whatever. They spray like ****, you have to shake the hell out of them and shake while spraying. If that fails, flip the can and spray upside down lol. Not even kidding. The krylon sucks but it’s easier to spray.
I used a can per panel, 2 on the hood, and I think 3 on the roof. I was planning on buying a bunch of the “pro” grade and doing the whole thing once over. It might be cheaper to get a gun and the real stuff, I did it every pay day one can at a time.

Looks good. Been planning to do the same with mine. Just rattle can it and minor repairs for the rust spots.

I’m fairly certain it would be cheaper to buy a gallon if you have a real spray gun. At about $8 a can this was actually a little expensive.

What lift kit did you use? As for the rear I'd add an add a leaf to the pack to get it up where it should be.

It’s a 4” spindle and I did add springs to the rear. They lifted it 2” in the rear, I already had the shakles in. So I’m thinking the springs are worn out and I may try to find some new ones.

Where did you find just the spindles? Or was it a kit?

It was a kit with spindles and springs. Just google what your after, I found it on eBay I think.

AAL does nothing to lift a spring under truck. Makes it a great tow rig though. I would suggest removing the added leafs unless you tow and just find a spring shop in your area to re arch your stock springs. They can arch them with xtra lift. It will ride much better this way.

Good luck with your Ranchos. Mine only lasted 3years with street driving.

herculiner has no UV protect-ant in it and will fade to a dull grey in the sun in short time
What rancho shocks did you use? what series? In my experience rancho shocks are very good and some of them come with a lifetime warranty I have been getting new/ warranty shocks from rancho for like 15+ years now, if a shock has a problem I get a new one. They did pro rate me on the last set because the new 9000 series is way more beefy and the price went up

I used the 5000s for extended length in front. They were totally wasted. I used 9000s for extended length in the rear and one of them was toast and the other had questionable issues as well. They were under warranty however Rancho asked that I go to my original retailer to get them warranties. Called Amazon and since they didn’t have the fronts they refunded all of my money. At least amazon made it right but I question ranchos reasoning for pushing this off on them.

AAL does nothing to lift a spring under truck. Makes it a great tow rig though. I would suggest removing the added leafs unless you tow and just find a spring shop in your area to re arch your stock springs. They can arch them with xtra lift. It will ride much better this way.

Good luck with your Ranchos. Mine only lasted 3years with street driving.

When you stiffen the spring it will sag less under load. Even the stock springs sagged a bit on these rigs, so the AAL alone will give some "lift" over what came off the factory floor, simply by virtue of the rear not sagging under its own weight.

I prefer the ride of an AAL + shackle as the truck will sway less around turns, and I've never had even a short leaf AAL cause any noticable flex reduction.

If you want the stock ride yes a rearch is probably better.

Manimal, what you said first in your post is exactly correct and speaks to what an AAL is actually for. An AAL does not have enough stiffness to overcome the sag of a complete set of stock leafs. I’ve installed them on my own X before with much disappointment. I had to remove the leaf pack again and get them re arched including the AAL to get the desired lift. I gained very little with just the AAL alone. Like maybe a quarter inch. The AAL did make my X a great tow vehicle though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, so I did 31x 10.50's and front keys and rear shackles. And the ride is ok , I'm looking for shocks, and there doesn't seem to be much available. Any suggestions?

Back