• Register Today It's free!

Lift kit for '95-'97?

Andy97XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Kensington, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Frankenstein XLT
Why would Trailmaster come out with a kit for the '98-'00 and not one for the '95-'97? I've got a '97 and want to lift it but don't really want to do a torsion bar/add a leaf lift. I'd like to use a real kit. What's availble for these years? Anyone else in the same boat? Don't get me wrong here; the lift for the '98-'00 is awesome! The same thing is need for the previous three years. In the meantime, can I use something like a kit for the '97 Ranger? Is there such a thing?
-Andy
-Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Andy,
I know what you're talking about. I have a 97 also, but here's the scoop. The brackets the the rear portion of the torsion bars hook to were change in 98 to the same kind that the Ranger has. Trailmaster doesn't have to modify or weld anything to make it work for both the Ranger and the Explorer, that is why they chose the 98-00 years. In order for us 95-97 owners to get any of the lifts to work(including Superlift) we would have to modify the rear torsion bar brackets, (which are welded on ) to look like the 98-00 brackets, then we could use the Trailmaster lift. So in short we would need more modifications done on our trucks, but it could be done. I just don't know how much money it's going to take to do it. I wish Ford would let go of the bracket assembly diagrams or sell us that part of the frame, but I can't get an answer from them. How about it Ford People, Can you give us a hand? From what I can tell, it wouldn't be that hard to make the part, You would have to get someone to grind off the old bracket and a good welder to put the new one on, then add the lift. Maybe FST could come up with the rear torsion bar bracket, and sell it to all us 95-97 owners.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

How much different are the brackets? There can't be that much difference. Sounds to me like a minor detail. Does anyone have a picture of the 95-97 brackets?

[This message has been edited by Paul Gagnon (edited 12-08-1999).]

Is there anyway to get those newer brackets? I think I can get someone to do the grinding and welding. Also, about how much is the Trailmaster lift? Also, who's FST?

Hey,

I have a 96 XLT, as with the drop brackets, are they welded and bolted for 95-97? If I'm not confused, the brackets that need to be dropped are at the end of the torsion bar (if doing the torsion lift it is the same area that you twist the bar) right? I checked this out and I had bolts going through mine? Am I mistaken? Everyone is saying that they are welded for 95-98, so I refered to the pictures of TC's Explorer to see exactly what the brackets are and where they are and mine have bolts throught the bracket like his. My dad has a 99' and I'm going to hop underneath his to compare. Am I confused and completely mistaken? Help?!

------------------
Tim Y.
1996 Ford Explorer

Back