lift kit help 2001 ford sport trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dtmullins

Reaction score
City, State
dayton texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford explorer ST
i recently purchased a 2001 explorer sport trac 2wd and i have been trying to find a 4 inch suspension lift for it but i cant so will a super lift suspension lift for a 4wd 2001 sport trac work if it wont what will i am already putting on a 3 in body lift so the suspension is all thats left if that kit wont work what will?? by the way i need specifics like wear to get the parts and wht they are called

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope won't work. Besides the body lift you can do spindles or torsion twist. Tons of info on all the lift options around

You can do Ranger edge lift spindles which will give you 3" in the front, then crank the torsion bars 1" and there is your 4"s in the front and then for the rear you can do the warrior shackles and add a leaf and that will give you 3"s. Thats probably the closest you will come, that I know of. And thats what I have on my 04 Sport Trac.

I'd say 3"TT up front with shackles and add a leaf in the back and 33s and call it done. Spindles would be awesome and a better ride but they also mean you have to downsize to 11" (Ranger) disc brakes. Plus its more work time and money.

Why wouldn't the superlift hardware work?

Yes, it has a lot of "extra" parts in the kit for dropping the front differential which wouldn't be needed for a 2wd, but the parts for dropping the LCA's & t-bars should fit, right?

The superlift website has a complete parts list (in 4 groups) and instructions, so with a little studying it should be possible to put together a list of what you'd need - checkit...

Of course, they might not SELL you only the 2wd parts, or it might cost less to just buy the whole 4wd kit... On the other hand, they might be very helpful and reasonable - who knows!

Aside from relocating the LCA's & diff, the other part of the kit is the taller spindles, which ARE different from 4wd to 2wd... I *think* you could use the 4wd stuff, and without the CV shafts it wouldn't matter if the hubs were locked or not. (4wd guys, is this correct?)

The other option would be to use '02-05 explorer/mountaineer spindles, which are taller than 1st gen ST spindles, like the superlift ones. The upper ball joint studs are threaded instead of grooved like the ST, but that might be fixable simply by looking at a (moog, raybestos, etc.) catalog with detailed drawings and finding one with the same stud as the threaded type and the same housing dimensions as the replacement ones for press-fit UCA's. Or call BTF Fabrication and see if they'll make a set of ST UCA's with uniball studs to fit the newer spindles.

I'm not saying it would be as easy as using a turn-key kit with full instructions, but it might cost less, and it should be do-able.

But the body lift would be waaay cheaper & easier. ;-)

Edit: just re-read & saw you are looking to do BOTH suspension lift & body lift - is there a certain tyre size you want to run, or do you just want it as high as possible, or...?
What do you have in terms of tech skills, tools, and budget?

Also, if anyone knows of specific problems with the "pieced-together" lift method idea as described above, or other needed parts (outer tie-rods?), PLEASE chime in! I'm a newb to this and looking for something similar myself, so lets see if we can figure something out...

You can do Ranger edge lift spindles which will give you 3" in the front, then crank the torsion bars 1" and there is your 4"s in the front and then for the rear you can do the warrior shackles and add a leaf and that will give you 3"s. Thats probably the closest you will come, that I know of. And thats what I have on my 04 Sport Trac.

you have a picture of your sport trac i think that is what im going to do i want to see a picture of it to get an idea of how much lift im gona get out of this

Camburg mid travel kit lifts the front 4-6 inches and provides added wheel travel and a smoother ride, adds 1.5 inch of width perside, and I don't think it requires smaller rotors.

Camburg mid travel kit lifts the front 4-6 inches and provides added wheel travel and a smoother ride, adds 1.5 inch of width perside, and I don't think it requires smaller rotors.

+1 :thumbsup:

Here's an old pic of mine. I have a body lift, spindles, and the torsion twist. The rear's been lifted with shackles and a lift leaf spring pack. The tires are 285/75/16 Pro Comps, which are just a little smaller than 33". Kind of gives you an idea of what you'll be looking at.

Sport%20Trac%201.jpg

I think Kaptain Krunch is more what yours is going to be like with the body lift. I dont have a body lift on mine. Nice Trac by the way Kaptain..

You too, Breeze. :thumbsup:

Here's an old pic of mine. I have a body lift, spindles, and the torsion twist. The rear's been lifted with shackles and a lift leaf spring pack. The tires are 285/75/16 Pro Comps, which are just a little smaller than 33". Kind of gives you an idea of what you'll be looking at.

Sport%20Trac%201.jpg

Fender Flares... where did you get them and can I sell you my arms for them

To fit 35s, all you need is a body lift, add a leaf or shackles and a torsion twist. Anything else is just raising the roof line higher, not really giving you any more clearance. If you're crawling mall curbs, you may want to "appear" higher, though. Just going to depend on the vehicle's use.

I would also like to know what fender flares those are.

They're the EGR fender flares that I got a few years ago. It doesn't look like they make them anymore, though. Every once and a while I see them pop up used on ebay, but they're pretty hard to find now.

And Interscope - already got a couple of arms, so I don't really need another set. :D

this is gonna sound dumb but i dont know if i turned them the right way are you supposed to turn the adjustment skrews so they get tighter on the TT

yea, when you tighten them it will lift the truck. But if your leveling it out it takes a while for the suspension to adjust. What I mean by that is when you twist the bolts and measure to the apex of your fender it might be 36" but if you drive around and measure it again it will go up because the bars had time to adjust. Not a bunch but some.

just check your ball joints when you do a TT! you crank them up that high, they will go out fairly quickly.... well atleast mine did. just keep an eye on them and if they have grease fittings then grease them regularly.

Yea I agree with Shooterdude. A lot of people say that cranking the bars a couple inches should be fine but i had mine cranked that much for about a year and it just killed the ball joints. And when I went with the spindle lift and lowered the bars back down it felt like I was riding in a cadillac.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep a torsion twist to 2" or less and it will be fine. Don't max it out. Use 2wd Ranger Edge spindles from Camburg or whoever. Superlift will sell you the 4" lift rear springs separately without the whole kit. If you can find a shop that is good with welding and pinion angles and such, you can also do a sprung-over conversion on the rear but that ends up giving more like 6"-7" of lift.

Back