• Register Today It's free!

Lift kit help.

Brandon Ciafre

Reaction score
City, State
Aston pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT4.0
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 v6 and I’m looking to put a lift kit on it. Being that I’m young and don’t know too much about this stuff I came here looking for help. I’m trying to make this car suitable for mud trails around my area.
Need a recommendation for a good 3 inch lift kit or maybe up to a 5 inch that isn’t too expensive. And something to help add a few more horses under the hood. If you guys can recommend anything your help would be greatly appreciated.
C254507D-2C4A-4F1D-80D8-21D27DCB8028.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 v6 and I’m looking to put a lift kit on it. Being that I’m young and don’t know too much about this stuff I came here looking for help. I’m trying to make this car suitable for mud trails around my area.
Need a recommendation for a good 3 inch lift kit or maybe up to a 5 inch that isn’t too expensive. And something to help add a few more horses under the hood. If you guys can recommend anything your help would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 180015
Welcome!

There are no ‘lift kits’ for our trucks. You can use strut spacers to get a few inches in the suspension, and there is a Ranger body lift that can be adapted to work ( or better said, you can adapt your Explorer to use a Ranger body lift) but nothing is ‘bolt in’.

Here is my 2002 XLS with 2” of strut spacer lift, 3” of body lift, and 32” x 10.50” (265/75/16) tires for about 6” of total lift.

There is a link in my signature to the body lift thread. It’s a huge thread, but there are no other ‘instructions’ for it. Search the forum for ‘strut spacers’, ‘spacer lift’, and/or ‘leveling kits’.

33D931D6-DBE2-4590-B109-A8EF1579824A.jpeg

17DF8699-2CFB-4069-B888-40BCE88C56E3.jpeg

Welcome!

There are no ‘lift kits’ for our trucks. You can use strut spacers to get a few inches in the suspension, and there is a Ranger body lift that can be adapted to work ( or better said, you can adapt your Explorer to use a Ranger body lift) but nothing is ‘bolt in’.

Here is my 2002 XLS with 2” of strut spacer lift, 3” of body lift, and 32” x 10.50” (265/75/16) tires for about 6” of total lift.

There is a link in my signature to the body lift thread. It’s a huge thread, but there are no other ‘instructions’ for it. Search the forum for ‘strut spacers’, ‘spacer lift’, and/or ‘leveling kits’.

View attachment 180037
View attachment 180038
Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
did you do the spacers your self ordid you get a shop to do the install. If you got a shop to do it. How much did it cost?

Need a recommendation for a good 3 inch lift kit or maybe up to a 5 inch that isn’t too expensive. And something to help add a few more horses under the hood. If you guys can recommend anything your help would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 180015
I installed Rancho Add A Lift Struts on my 2005 Ford Explorer 4 door XLT 4x4 which gave it about 1 3/4" to 2" lift. I also put all new suspension parts & some drive train parts on the front & rear. You still have to do a front & rear wheel alignment because the Rancho ADD A Lift Struts change the control arm angles. I cut my front fender so I could fit 315 x 75 R16 Firestone Destination MTR's on it. I also removed my front & rear sway bars to allow the IFS & IRS to articulate better. This vehicle is a daily driver & a Trail Guide Rig at our local Off-Road Park & around the State. DO NOT REMOVE YOUR SWAY BARS IF YOUR EXPLORER IS 2WD OR YOU ONLY DRIVE IT ON THE STREET!!!!!!! I have over 40 years of Off-Road Driving Experience & 19 years as a Trail Guide & Off-Road Driving Instructor!

Attachments

• IMG_03491.jpg
    IMG_03491.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 93

Back