Lift Kit options for 2wd Explorer Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift Kit options for 2wd Explorer Sport Trac

GAgirl77

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello, I recently purchased a 01 Explorer Sport Trac 2WD and am coming to the realization that only a 3" body lift can be done! Is this true, are there no lift kits out there for 2WD Sport Tracs?? I've read through some posts and heard some people talking about torsion twists and shackles but I believe that was for a 2WD Explorer Sport... Please help, i'll be bummed if all you can do is a 3" body lift :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215017&page=5

quarter way down is a dude that got 9 inches of lift, and everyone was saying he was 2wd.

or this!!!!
attachment.php

you know, either way is fine ;).

Is this true, are there no lift kits out there for 2WD Sport Tracs??

Basically that's true. However....
You can do the same TT and shackle lift as a 4wd Trac.
You can do a body lift.
You can use Ranger Edge 2wd dropped spindles if you also swap to the Ranger brake rotors, then get taller springs or a SOA conversion for the rear.

tubaexlorer: Yeah I saw that post/pic and did see it said 2WD however all that looks custom which means $$$$ :p: I've been told you can do a custom lift but you're talking upwards of $3K-4K plus which I dont want to spend, thanks though, I might ask the owner of that truck some questions.. :)

JohnnyO: Thank you, that's very helpful, I was looking at different pics and body lifts actually don't look that bad! I was hoping to get at least a good 4" but I guess 3" ins't too bad. Wanted to clear 33" tires but 31-32 will do until I get a 4X4! Thanks for your help!! :D

Actually there more lift options for 2wd ST's then there are for 4wd ST's. You can do lift spindles, shackles, body lift, torsion twist, spring over axle. I'm jealous that you can do more to your 2wd then I can do to my 4wd. I've seen 2wd ST's lifted 11"'s before.

Pic of another dude's truck from MYST.com. He doesn't come around any more to ask him, but I know it is a 4x2 on 37's with Ranger Edge dropped spindles, a body lift, and Bushwhacker flares. I don't recall what else has been done to lift it. I think it's around 8" total.

tonkatrac.jpg

It's also running a 350 Chevy with about 350 hp, a Turbo 350 tranny, and rewired like a street rod to get around the electronics. No emissions testing where he lives.

Would the dropped spindles inhibit offroad use at all?

Would the dropped spindles inhibit offroad use at all?
No, all they are doing is lowering the mounting point of the tire and wheel in relation to the rest of the suspension. Now 2wd will inhibit off-road use, but that's another topic....
In case anyone is wondering, you cannot put dropped spindles on a 4wd.

I'm looking to install 37s on my 01 ST 2wd. Any issues I'll be running into? And the basic lift options I can get away with?

You'll need a 3" body lift, Ranger 2wd lift spindles, 2-3" Torsion Twist up front, SOA (Spring Over Axle) conversion in the rear, longer shocks, brake hoses and other misc. small parts but it's doable.

I'm running 37" tires on my '03 but mine s 4wd and has a SAS (Solid Axle Swap), SOA and 3" body lift.

If your are just going for looks then do the bodylift with a TT/shackle for a total of 5" +\-.

For a functioning 2wd I would go with long travel suspension.

I'm looking to install 37s on my 01 ST 2wd. Any issues I'll be running into? And the basic lift options I can get away with?

Stupid question, but why 37s?

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Forum Runner

What can I do to add just 1 or 2 in. All the way around beside body and torsion bars cause I want the 3 in body plus about 1 or 2 more in. With the torsion bars cranked 2in.

What can I do to add just 1 or 2 in. All the way around beside body and torsion bars cause I want the 3 in body plus about 1 or 2 more in. With the torsion bars cranked 2in.

Add a leaf or shackles.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Forum Runner

Do the BL and then a TT up front with either an AAL or shackles in the rear. You can run 35s with this setup and a few of us do/have.

To fit 37s you will need to do the drop spindles in addition to above for the front and an SOA conversion in the rear to match. This requires swapping in Ranger brakes which are only 11" discs as opposed to our stock 12s. Kind of a bad choice if you want to run tires that big in my opinion. Losing stopping power and adding a huge amount of tire weight is a bad combo.

Plus regearing to 5:13

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Between the aal and the shackle kit which one is going to keep a better rode quality I dontnoffroad very much so I wanna keep my truck ride quality the best I can and how many in
Of lift with the aal add and how much with the shackle add.

Back