lift kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lift kit

joseneto

Reaction score
City, State
coral springs florida
sorry for the noob question but where can u guys direct me to buy a lift kit i want to fit 35's. what will i need. its a 2wd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what kind of explorer do you have exactly? 35"s on a 2wd can be done, but seems a little overkill. i have a 2wd sport trac with 33"s and a locker and that gets me throught the trails pretty good. who knows, maybe one day ill end up with 35"s too, but you might also want to figure out what gearing you have in your differential. anything less than 4.10, and running 35"s will turn your ride into a slug and cause tranny shifting problems as well as throw your speedometer off. like i said, im running 33"s and i have 4.10 gears, and im already looking to switch to 4.56's.

i hope this helps, some guy was asking for opinions on a lift kit, and i remember another member a while back sharing his thoughts on the kit so i suggested he do a search on the particular kit he was asking about and the guy got all snarky.

anyway, if you plan on running 35"s on a 2wd and just not for looks but you actually want it to do work, you should look into what gearing you are running, and look into moving up to a 4.56 or 4.88 set up as well as getting a set of lockers. this will really give those 35"s a sense of purpose.

you can do a shackle lift for the rear and then twist the torsion bars up front for about 3" of lift, and then theres a body lift which will give you a few more inches. either way, to fit 35"s, you will need to do some trimming. you can also try a spindle lift up front and a spring over axle conversion in the back. that'll give you around 5" of lift.

what kind of explorer do you have exactly? 35"s on a 2wd can be done, but seems a little overkill. i have a 2wd sport trac with 33"s and a locker and that gets me throught the trails pretty good. who knows, maybe one day ill end up with 35"s too, but you might also want to figure out what gearing you have in your differential. anything less than 4.10, and running 35"s will turn your ride into a slug and cause tranny shifting problems as well as throw your speedometer off. like i said, im running 33"s and i have 4.10 gears, and im already looking to switch to 4.56's.

i hope this helps, some guy was asking for opinions on a lift kit, and i remember another member a while back sharing his thoughts on the kit so i suggested he do a search on the particular kit he was asking about and the guy got all snarky.

anyway, if you plan on running 35"s on a 2wd and just not for looks but you actually want it to do work, you should look into what gearing you are running, and look into moving up to a 4.56 or 4.88 set up as well as getting a set of lockers. this will really give those 35"s a sense of purpose.

you can do a shackle lift for the rear and then twist the torsion bars up front for about 3" of lift, and then theres a body lift which will give you a few more inches. either way, to fit 35"s, you will need to do some trimming. you can also try a spindle lift up front and a spring over axle conversion in the back. that'll give you around 5" of lift.

thanks man really grateful for your response. im just looking for looks because down in miami we dont have any fun mountains and stuff like that around here . 33's are fine also. i just want a cheap way to get a 3 inch lift sense its just for looks.Do u have a pic of yours so i can see what ur working with? thanx agin brother

For 35s, you'll have to install a body lift. Check my signature.

For 33s, you don't necessarily need to. Check Lono's signature.

I still recommend reading through the link I provided above. There is so much good information in there and you'll be able to find out exactly what suits your needs, wants and budget.

For 35s, you'll have to install a body lift. Check my signature.

For 33s, you don't necessarily need to. Check Lono's signature.

I still recommend reading through the link I provided above. There is so much good information in there and you'll be able to find out exactly what suits your needs, wants and budget.

thanks brother. and i checked the guys truck above us and its what i want. i saw that he has shakles for a lift? looks simple and cheap. what eles do i need in the front if anything in the front?

Lono,

I saw that. Snarky, lol. That he was.

thanks brother. and i checked the guys truck above us and its what i want. i saw that he has shakles for a lift? looks simple and cheap. what eles do i need in the front if anything in the front?

I personally recommend an add-a-leaf instead of shackles but the shackles are more popular. They're easier to install but they cost about double. Shackles are about $70, add-a-leaf about $35. I have had both and can say I'm glad I switched to the add-a-leaf.

Twist the torsion bar for the front.

I personally recommend an add-a-leaf instead of shackles but the shackles are more popular. They're easier to install but they cost about double. Shackles are about $70, add-a-leaf about $35. I have had both and can say I'm glad I switched to the add-a-leaf.

Twist the torsion bar for the front.

have any sites with those products u mentioned?
and with the add a leaf and twist the torsion bar is this a 3inch body lift?
sorry if im sounding stupid right about now:D

Shackles:
http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/products_id/6362

Add-a-leaf:
http://www.amazon.com/Explorer-Pro-Comp-13120-Short/dp/B0007Y5W66

Body lift:
http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Accessories-70023-Explorer-2001-02/dp/B000CCFEFM
This can be found in other places cheaper. I shop Amazon a lot though. That's the one you'd need, though.

and with the add a leaf and twist the torsion bar is this a 3inch body lift?

No. The body lift is basically pucks that go between the body and frame that lift the body off of the frame, giving lift and more room for bigger tires. The add-a-leaf, shackles and torsion twist essentially lower the suspension from the frame. The body lift and these lifts essentially work in opposite directions but the result is room for bigger tires.

Shackles:
http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/products_id/6362

Add-a-leaf:
http://www.amazon.com/Explorer-Pro-Comp-13120-Short/dp/B0007Y5W66

Body lift:
http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Accessories-70023-Explorer-2001-02/dp/B000CCFEFM
This can be found in other places cheaper. I shop Amazon a lot though. That's the one you'd need, though.

No. The body lift is basically pucks that go between the body and frame that lift the body off of the frame, giving lift and more room for bigger tires. The add-a-leaf, shackles and torsion twist essentially lower the suspension from the frame. The body lift and these lifts essentially work in opposite directions but the result is room for bigger tires.
ok so would i be safe with TT and or add a leaf or shackles to run 32's or 33's?
and whats the difference between the add a leaf and shackles? the shackles do look a hell of alot easier to install.

go with add a leafs like offtrac said. if i had to do it over again, id go add a leaf as well. if i were you, and you arent going to do too much off road just go with 33"s, that way you wont have to do too much of a lift, trimming, or re-gearing.

offtrac - i guess you saw that last guy huh!?

offtrac - i guess you saw that last guy huh!?

Yeah, made me chuckle a bit. He sure knows how to beg for info on a forum: insult the first person to take the time to respond to your question.

Hugh, on the add a leafs you installed did they have a center pin hole? I don't see it in the picture in the link.

Hugh, on the add a leafs you installed did they have a center pin hole? I don't see it in the picture in the link.

Yup. And they came with two sized pins. One of them was correct. It's too late (early?) in the night (morning) for me to think of the sizes right off. I'm writing a very interesting :rolleyes: research paper on intergovernmental relations and the Internet sales tax.:eek: What the heck are you doing awake at this hour wondering about center pins?:eek:

2wd Trac with Ranger Edge spindles, TT, I think SOA rear, on 37's. Maybe a body lift, I don't remember. Step bars look like they're in the stock location in relation to the body.

tonkatrac.jpg

What the heck are you doing awake at this hour wondering about center pins?

I'm up and out the door for work at 4:30a.m.. I was thinking about buying stock shackles and getting a set of add a leafs for my Trac when I get it back this week (hopefully). I still don't totally understand how it "lifts" the rear and it's raising the axle up and like a drop block and not up from on top of the leafs.

I'm looking to retain my lift and adding strength for towing, hauling.

so i have a question for all you guys. im just a 17 year old kid trying to have fun with my truck. i dont want overkill but i would like to be able to lift my explorer to sit 2" higher all around. so does that mean i lift the rear 4" and the front 2"? if so what do you recomend for options?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

because the rears stock sag like 2" right?

Back