• Register Today It's free!

Lift kit?

Reddawg13

Reaction score
City, State
Meridian Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
I recently purchased a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer AWD and would really like to have it lifted 4” but I am having a hard time finding a kit available for this year of Mountaineer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I understand- it isn't easy to suspension lift these rigs much more than about 2" due to the independent front suspension. Have read a lot about people cheaply and easily lifting suspension 2" by adding a lift leaf to rear and doing the old torsion twist adjust to the front. If you really need the clearance for bigger tires or just look or something you could always add on a 2" body lift which doesn't interfere terribly with wires and brake lines. I think Ebrake cable is only thing that has to be adjusted to a different bolt hole or something. I'm sure more experienced members will chime in and give other options or correct me if I am mistaken on any of this.

What's nice about the 2+2 lift is you get the 4" lift wheel well clearance for the bigger tires but keep more of the weight (frame and drivetrain) lower which should add to stability. Body lifts are super cheap and so are the rear lift leaf kits or a set of lift shackles. Adjusting torsion bar on front is free!

From what I understand- it isn't easy to suspension lift these rigs much more than about 2" due to the independent front suspension. Have read a lot about people cheaply and easily lifting suspension 2" by adding a lift leaf to rear and doing the old torsion twist adjust to the front. If you really need the clearance for bigger tires or just look or something you could always add on a 2" body lift which doesn't interfere terribly with wires and brake lines. I think Ebrake cable is only thing that has to be adjusted to a different bolt hole or something. I'm sure more experienced members will chime in and give other options or correct me if I am mistaken on any of this.

What's nice about the 2+2 lift is you get the 4" lift wheel well clearance for the bigger tires but keep more of the weight (frame and drivetrain) lower which should add to stability. Body lifts are super cheap and so are the rear lift leaf kits or a set of lift shackles. Adjusting torsion bar on front is free!
Thank you for the great information it’s very helpful.

A ranger drop bracket lift will for the front of your mountaineer
Superlift and rough country make them
They are a 3.5-4”
Front lift
I’m the rear you can do leaves, shackles, a combo of those or convert to spring over to match the front depending on how much lift you go with

The 96-01 explorer has the same Dana 35 sla ifs suspension as the 98-11 ranger

A ranger drop bracket lift will for the front of your mountaineer
Superlift and rough country make them
They are a 3.5-4”
Front lift
I’m the rear you can do leaves, shackles, a combo of those or convert to spring over to match the front depending on how much lift you go with

The 96-01 explorer has the same Dana 35 sla ifs suspension as the 98-11 ranger
Thank you for the information I appreciate it.

Back