• Register Today It's free!

Lift kits for 3rd gen's

Brandon@BTF-fab

Reaction score
City, State
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 ranger
Okay, since the other spacer topic kinda went off on tangents, I am doing this thread to see what kind of money people are willing to spend for what kind of lifts.

options:

1) 2.0 adjustable coilover shock with bolt-in brackets
something like this would run $635/pair, so $1275 for front and rear. would be adjustable from 0-2.5" of lift. any more than that, and you will run into balljoint issues just like spacer lifts.

2) bolt-in coilovers, drop brackets, fabricated spindles and upper a-arms
somthing like this would easily reach into the $6-7K mark for front and rear, and lifts from 5"-7" would be possible.

3) SAS kits: could be made in many combinations, using leaf springs, or coilovers and link setups. These could probably be made fairly cheap if you want to supply your own axles (there would have to be a consensus on what axle to design the kits around first.) obviously, some welding would have to be involved, but I could probably make these simple enough to install in a weekend for someone w/ experience. pricewise, we'd be looking at about $5K plus axles. this would include 2.0 emulsion coilovers, 4-links w/ panhard bars and mounting brackets (front and rear)...just realized steering may be a big hurdle for this, as far as a simple swap goes...at this point, steering would not be included in the price until I could figure some things out.

feel free to add your ideas, and/or let me know what you'd be willing to spend on kits...I do have to make a living at this, but I try my best to keep prices fair.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would be interest in option 1 right now. My original idea was drop brackets up front to get 6 inches of suspension lift. For the rear I wanted to do a sas with leaf springs or a coilover setup but would rather leaf springs in the rear for Towing.

option 3 sounds like the right path i would take but i was also thinking the other day wut about the rear suspension of an explorer sport trac. the front of them are jus about the same as the suv with the IFS and the rear with a solid axle you jus yank out all the suspension components and parts. sounds like alotta work and some know how with a welder, a sawzaw, an angle grinder and maybe a plasma cutter but with the experience and time but i think itll work. and with all that pulled out measured and setup right skyjacker and rough country sell a 4inch lift kit for the sport trac and that would go in place of your suspension on the explorer.

also add to note that if there was a long arm kit for the front like maybe an extended and or a drop knuckle would reduce wear and tear on the upper and lower ball joints and c.v. axles. something to think about and possibably some measureing

option 3 sounds like the right path i would take but i was also thinking the other day wut about the rear suspension of an explorer sport trac. the front of them are jus about the same as the suv with the IFS and the rear with a solid axle you jus yank out all the suspension components and parts. sounds like alotta work and some know how with a welder, a sawzaw, an angle grinder and maybe a plasma cutter but with the experience and time but i think itll work. and with all that pulled out measured and setup right skyjacker and rough country sell a 4inch lift kit for the sport trac and that would go in place of your suspension on the explorer.

also add to note that if there was a long arm kit for the front like maybe an extended and or a drop knuckle would reduce wear and tear on the upper and lower ball joints and c.v. axles. something to think about and possibably some measureing

The sport trac with the solid rear axle is the 1st gen sport trac. The 2nd gen sport trac has IRS, which shares the front suspension with the explorer. The front suspension is not the same between the 1st and 2nd gen sport tracs.

option 3 would be for me. I am currently investigating this one. Of course the Mountaineer I have is 2wd so I have other obstacles as well.

Has anyone here done a SAS on a 3rd gen yet??

not yet but i'm trying to get some parts together. i'm going with a leaf spring rear setup and the front i'm shooting for a coilover setup. i'm working on finding a set of axles right now so i can rebuild them. my 20 inch rims and mud grapplers will be going up for sale along with everything i pull off the mountaineer. i'm shooting to have it all done for under10k not including rims, tires and the fun stuff. 8 inch sas lift with 38s under it will be my next goal. should be finished by mid/end summer if not winter time hopefully

Awesome! I can't wait to see your build thread.

my 20 inch rims and mud grapplers will be going up for sale along with everything i pull off the mountaineer.

Did you have the roadbully spacers before? PM me if you have anything you pulled off for sale. Thanks

Why not just PM him rather than bump a 5 month old post

This thread is :dead:

I did. Just realized how old this was haha

Im liking ur setup by the way. I just ordered my HIDs a few days ago from DDM:thumbsup: really like your lift but trying to avoid a body lift. Any suggestions?

Back