Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

I got the truxxx 3" lift. Im getting it put on at a mechanic and they will align it after completion.
I am expecting no complications.
Hi Blake. How did you make out with the lift? Any issues? See post 511.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Second shot at this was PU spacers from ebay. 3cm front 2cm rear. Leveled the car way better but not enough. Now let me tell u what I learner about spacers. Never get anything other than PU. Polyurethane is forever, that's the first advantage. But the greatest advantage was the ride quality. That care rode so much better than stock with pu spacers.
The car felt like the rear was plenty lifter(for my purpose) but the front needed an ever so light additional lift. So I found someone else selling the 4cm front struts and got those. Now I ended up with 4cm in the front and 2cm in the rear all polyurethane. Then I put on tires 255/55R20 which is exactly 3% from stock so still within recommend circumference and it gave some more lift and side wall(1.25cm) . And filled the wheel well nicely.
The lift super works. no sacrifices at all so far.
I can approach obstacles way more confidently now. Gained lots of ride softness too. No regrets Al all. Plus the peace of mind of having a set of semi indestructible material for spacers.
Thanks to boominXplorer for all the invaluable tips.

Do you happend to know the brand of spacers you bought?

I have looked on google and ebay. However can't determine from the descriptions if they are Polyurethane or not.

So this is more of a question between two threads... I think anyone that has had a lifted vehicle knows that premature wear and tear is going to happen. THAT being said, mine has 145k miles (so HAA to a warranty) and I am looking more heavily into the lifting now.

I am faced with replacing the suspension (Shocks/struts) and if there was ever a time to do a lift, it might as well be when you have to remove parts anyway! I've kinda settled on the traxda lift... but this is more of the question: Has anyone changed their suspension components to ARB and if so what are the results? What about Monroe, Bilstein, or FCS? Am I going BAJAing, nope, but I do go offroad more than most. I have Nitto Ridge Grapplers on it currently and it came with the 20" wheel, so I believe they are 255/50/20s... They obviously would get changed, but I am aiming more for the suspension related answers and opinions that go into the lifting process!!

Thanks in advance!

So this is more of a question between two threads... I think anyone that has had a lifted vehicle knows that premature wear and tear is going to happen. THAT being said, mine has 145k miles (so HAA to a warranty) and I am looking more heavily into the lifting now.

I am faced with replacing the suspension (Shocks/struts) and if there was ever a time to do a lift, it might as well be when you have to remove parts anyway! I've kinda settled on the traxda lift... but this is more of the question: Has anyone changed their suspension components to ARB and if so what are the results? What about Monroe, Bilstein, or FCS? Am I going BAJAing, nope, but I do go offroad more than most. I have Nitto Ridge Grapplers on it currently and it came with the 20" wheel, so I believe they are 255/50/20s... They obviously would get changed, but I am aiming more for the suspension related answers and opinions that go into the lifting process!!

Thanks in advance!

There are few guys that run Bilstein on here but Ive only seen their reviews on lowering springs however, Bilstein are the choice fave among many.. Not many know that Bilstein now makes a replacement shock of this gen so when I had mine replaced, the shop purchased Monroe shocks.. They are, mehh, to say the least. Not bad, REAL close to stock in comfort. I was wanting something more stiff like the Bilstein B6. The Monroe gets the job done so when they go, I will probably be replacing with the B6's.

I run the Traxda lift, have for the past 3 years or so. I had Nitto Trail Grapplers which are a lot of fun in the snow paired with the terrain management system this thing has but they are entirely too heavy.. So I run Wrangler Ultraterrains now. 265/70r17 and they are awesome.

That said, Monroes haven't proven me wrong yet and the Bilsein installs Ive seen, have been on lowered Ex's they are are, Bilstein tho, cant go wrong there lol

There are few guys that run Bilstein on here but Ive only seen their reviews on lowering springs however, Bilstein are the choice fave among many.. Not many know that Bilstein now makes a replacement shock of this gen so when I had mine replaced, the shop purchased Monroe shocks.. They are, mehh, to say the least. Not bad, REAL close to stock in comfort. I was wanting something more stiff like the Bilstein B6. The Monroe gets the job done so when they go, I will probably be replacing with the B6's.

I run the Traxda lift, have for the past 3 years or so. I had Nitto Trail Grapplers which are a lot of fun in the snow paired with the terrain management system this thing has but they are entirely too heavy.. So I run Wrangler Ultraterrains now. 265/70r17 and they are awesome.

That said, Monroes haven't proven me wrong yet and the Bilsein installs Ive seen, have been on lowered Ex's they are are, Bilstein tho, cant go wrong there lol

Thank you so much for the input!! I have been looking at the Bilsteins as well. Like you said, most run them for the lowered Explorers but as I am looking at lifting I just was curious!

Thank you so much for the input!! I have been looking at the Bilsteins as well. Like you said, most run them for the lowered Explorers but as I am looking at lifting I just was curious!

I say go for it! Post up when you're done too!

Hello all!

New to site, not new to lifting but I did just get a great deal on a 2015 Ex Sport with only about 50K miles on the odometer and now looking to lift it a bit and this will not be the first Ex I've owned but will be the first I've lifted. The vehicle is not a daily driver outside of running a few errands here and there but we do regularly head to the mountains here in Arizona and needless to say, I want some clearance on the trails. I'm wanting to go with the Truxxx 3" front/1.5" rear lift kit and since I've had sets of Nitto Ridge Grapplers on two other vehicles of mine and have loved them, obviously going with those for this project. I can get a really good deal on a new set of 275/55R20's.

My first question is, outside of the 6.2% diameter difference which I know can have long term affects, does anybody foresee any immediate issues with that lift kit/tire size combo?

Second question is, are there any recommendations other that immediately getting a four-wheel alignment right after I complete the main project that you might suggest I do while I have everything taken apart (other small part upgrades, etc) so as to prevent any issues arising in the near and far future? Before posting, I read all 26 pages of this thread and some other smaller threads but have not been able to find anything I should do and if there is something on here, I must have missed it.

Thanks in advance and yes, I did go ahead and purchase the Elite membership so there will be before and after pics. Especially since lift and new rubber will be far from the only mods I'll be doing to it, In fact, already had some K&N mufflers welded on, installed an Air Raid CAI, and a Steeda throttle body spacer and I JUST bought the thing. lol

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Thank you for helping to support the forum through your membership. That 6.2% variance would likely have an immediate effect on the ABS and TC systems since they are usually calibrated to the OEM size and can sometimes be calibrated to preprogrammed sizes. I believe some members have used 275/50R20 tires without any rubbing issues but I don't believe anyone has used the 275/55R20 tires. I'm sure they will chime in if that is incorrect.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Headlight aim may have to be adjusted. Good luck.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Thank you for helping to support the forum through your membership. That 6.2% variance would likely have an immediate effect on the ABS and TC systems since they are usually calibrated to the OEM size and can sometimes be calibrated to preprogrammed sizes. I believe some members have used 275/50R20 tires without any rubbing issues but I don't believe anyone has used the 275/55R20 tires. I'm sure they will chime in if that is incorrect.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Headlight aim may have to be adjusted. Good luck.

Peter
Thank you for your response Peter. When you say it can sometimes be calibrated to reprogrammed sizes, is that something you have to do with a tuner or is that something that can be done manually in the system? How do you go about it? That is something I forgot to ask about in my original post that I have yet to find an answer to.

I read that in a post by jmr061 who mentioned that he found that there were preprogrammed sizes. I don't know if all model years have it or just the ones he was looking at. He mentioned IDS programming so I imagine it could be done using FORScan but not sure.

Peter

Nitto doesn't make a Ridge Grappler in 275/50R20 or I'd go with that. It's the only tire make and model I've found that has that same aggresive look I'm wanting or else I'd consider going with another make/model tire.

I read that in a post by jmr061 who mentioned that he found that there were preprogrammed sizes. I don't know if all model years have it or just the ones he was looking at. He mentioned IDS programming so I imagine it could be done using FORScan but not sure.

Peter
After doing some digging, I found Nitto does make Ridge Grapllers in 265/50R20 which is what I'm going to be going with. That'll put me at a 1.3% variance. Was hoping to have more rubber under there for asthetics but I'll take function over asthetics any day!

I don't believe anyone has mentioned these before. I did a 'search' on "Dobinsons" and this post is the only one that came up. I wonder why the 2011 model year wasn't included?

Peter

I don't believe anyone has mentioned these before. I did a 'search' on "Dobinsons" and this post is the only one that came up. I wonder why the 2011 model year wasn't included?

Peter
Good question. Maybe I just opened the door for many who have been looking for springs. lol You think those would be worth a try WITH the Truxxx 3"/1.5" kit? That'd be on paper a 5"/3.5" lift which would change things as far a tire sizes you could go with.

Good question. Maybe I just opened the door for many who have been looking for springs. lol You think those would be worth a try WITH the Truxxx 3"/1.5" kit? That'd be on paper a 5"/3.5" lift which would change things as far a tire sizes you could go with.

It looks like they only have springs for the front?

It looks like they only have springs for the front?
Actually the springs don't even look like the springs for a 2012-2019 Explorer at all. The pic of the installed spring looks just like that of an FJ Cruiser. I say that because I own an FJ and have spent a lot of time in that wheel well. Besides, that color is hideous.... lol

So I reached out to Dobinson. They have the Front 2" springs/struts and their rear shocks are then made to also have 2" coil overs. On their website essentially you have to buy the front and back springs, struts, and shocks ($1150 ish). But that was from them today. I'm kind of interested, and as I'm going to have to replace my strut top mounts and look at a refresh of everything, I might pull the trigger and see where this goes...

So I reached out to Dobinson. They have the Front 2" springs/struts and their rear shocks are then made to also have 2" coil overs. On their website essentially you have to buy the front and back springs, struts, and shocks ($1150 ish). But that was from them today. I'm kind of interested, and as I'm going to have to replace my strut top mounts and look at a refresh of everything, I might pull the trigger and see where this goes...
PLEASE let me know how that goes. I'm installing the Truxxx 3" front 1.5" kit either tomorrow or Wednesday and I already know it's not going to give me the height I'm looking for on my 2015 Ex Sport. I'm sticking with the Nitto Ridge Grappler 265/50/20's that I already paid for and are in transit so I'm not going to upgrade tire sizes again anytime soon but do want as much clearance as possible for these rocky and snowy Arizona trails.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PLEASE let me know how that goes. I'm installing the Truxxx 3" front 1.5" kit either tomorrow or Wednesday and I already know it's not going to give me the height I'm looking for on my 2015 Ex Sport. I'm sticking with the Nitto Ridge Grappler 265/50/20's that I already paid for and are in transit so I'm not going to upgrade tire sizes again anytime soon but do want as much clearance as possible for these rocky and snowy Arizona trails.

Hello,

Did you get your truxxx kit installed? I am curious how it looks. Also do you think you could fit a larger tire with it? I know everyone here is going to say no but I am looking to stuff some 33's. :) Glad someone posted that suspension kit lift too. Probably going to look into that as well. I have 74k so I am sure my shocks/struts could be replaced.

Thanks,
-Corey

Back