Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

There’s probably more to it than leveling. If they could eek out substantially more lift they’d make a run of more expensive higher lift kits.

Either that, or they don’t think it’d sell.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking at the picture, they seem to be 265/50R20. Also found his other post confirming they are Nitto Ridge Grappler.

Peter
Got the 3” leveling kit with those same sized tires. Makes a big difference. Not as great in photos but it’s got a little more size and got a great amount of clearance. In case the image doesn’t come through.

Got the 3” leveling kit with those same sized tires. Makes a big difference. Not as great in photos but it’s got a little more size and got a great amount of clearance. In case the image doesn’t come through.
Your truck is sweet. 30” tire is a nice size. Once I wear out my current set I’m going with 265/65/18 which is a 31.5”. The sema explorer was running 32” tire with some rubbing so I’m pretty sure a 31.5 should fit ok.
Did you notice any difference in gas mileage with the lift and/or bigger tires?

Your truck is sweet. 30” tire is a nice size. Once I wear out my current set I’m going with 265/65/18 which is a 31.5”. The sema explorer was running 32” tire with some rubbing so I’m pretty sure a 31.5 should fit ok.
Did you notice any difference in gas mileage with the lift and/or bigger tires?
I put the 365/ 50r 20’s on it. Haven’t driven it enough to tell a difference in gas mileage yet. I’ll let you know. Very pleased with how it rides. Taking it in dirt tomorrow.

I put the 365/ 50r 20’s on it. Haven’t driven it enough to tell a difference in gas mileage yet. I’ll let you know. Very pleased with how it rides. Taking it in dirt tomorrow.
Ah sorry, I was reading the quoted post! Do they rub?

Sorry 265/50r/20

Ah sorry, I was reading the quoted post! Do they rub?
No rubbing. Plenty of room. Could go bigger. Happy with it. It’s the Nitto Grappler G2 it’s 30.5 so a little bigger than what was on there. Pretty sure I’ll remove the bottom rubber on the bumper too tomorrow.

I just installed the Traxda front 1.25" level lift. It worked out well!

What I can tell you is that the Traxda leveling kit does do what its supposed to do... make the back and front tires the same height. It's listed as a 1.25" Level, but before and after measurements for my Explorer was exactly a 1" gain which is what you want. Measuring from the pavement to the top of the wheel well the front went from 31 15/16 to 32 15/16. The rear stayed the same at 32 31/32. So basically its dead on even. I would highly recommend this kit as to others because it won't over stress the CV joints in the front suspension. I didn't want to mess with the rear. It looks like it should from the factory with a bit more clearance on the front like an SUV should.

Here is a video of this lift being installed not by me... but it gives you a visual at the end of the video on how it looks.

Great! Our front bumpers are actually 4 pieces (grille, top bumper cover, bottom bumper cover, and lower air dam). I recently saw another Explorer in the neighborhood missing the bottom half - so I was able to see what was behind it! Only thing exposed that looks funny is the windshield washer bottle (which I may paint black). I'll have a shop fab something to cover up the t.cooler, etc (with holes) and it'll look something like this. Also, I went with a Pro-Gard skid plate for a PI (I called to confirm it will fit a normal 5th gen) - check it out here! You should be able to fab/weld something to the main bumper support behind the top bumper cover to accommodate a winch. I'm not sure about sliders...don't know where you would weld it to - also, you'll lose ground clearance (which we need every single inch of). I'm also researching either a drop down or swing out tire carrier that connects to the tow hitch (to hold spare tire and other recover gear).
You've got an awesome project going on with your Explorer! I'm likewise using my 16' for some light off-roading and overloading. I've been able to add a Truxxx 2.5" lift and a swing out tire carrier so far, but haven't found any skid plates until you gave me an idea of searching for PI parts. How are the Pro-Gard skid plates working out for you? Also- did you have to make any modifications in order to fit the skid plates since they were originally designed for the interceptors? Thanks.

You've got an awesome project going on with your Explorer! I'm likewise using my 16' for some light off-roading and overloading. I've been able to add a Truxxx 2.5" lift and a swing out tire carrier so far, but haven't found any skid plates until you gave me an idea of searching for PI parts. How are the Pro-Gard skid plates working out for you? Also- did you have to make any modifications in order to fit the skid plates since they were originally designed for the interceptors? Thanks.
Do you have a pic with the 2.5 lift kit installed, interested to see how it looks.

Once upon a time the feds had a minimum approach and departure angle specification for vehicles classified as SUVs. Sadly they must have done away with it.
The 5th gen explorer is a fwd based vehicle... It is a crossover, not an SUV...

The 5th gen explorer is a fwd based vehicle... It is a crossover, not an SUV...
And a very capable and comfortable FWD/AWD vehicle at that. :thumbsup:

Peter

Yeah, but the understeer is pretty awful. Think the leveling kit would help with that?
Can't say I've noticed any understeer. Not sure about the levelling kit.

Peter

And a very capable and comfortable FWD/AWD vehicle at that. :thumbsup:

Peter
VERY Capable! So long as your trek doesn't require bro go anywhere an AWD Taurus has clearance for...

My statement was in reference to a previous poster's statement about SUVs used to have a standard to conform to. I was merely stating how the 5th and 6th gen explorers get away without fitting "SUV standards"... i.e. "they're technically not SUVs"

VERY Capable! So long as your trek doesn't require bro go anywhere an AWD Taurus has clearance for...

My statement was in reference to a previous poster's statement about SUVs used to have a standard to conform to. I was merely stating how the 5th and 6th gen explorers get away without fitting "SUV standards"... i.e. "they're technically not SUVs"
Pretty sure 6th gen is RWD with intelligent AWD. They’re even making one with more ground clearance

Pretty sure 6th gen is RWD with intelligent AWD. They’re even making one with more ground clearance
The 6th gens are primarily RWD. I really hope Ford can get the bugs worked out already...

It'd be a bronco for me if I had to buy new...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I just finished my Lift. I also added 2" spacers and dropped on a set of 265/65/18 Cooper AT3 4S which are 31.5"x10.5" tires. Thought I would share with you. The photos don't really do the finished look justice in my opinion.

3in TRUXXX front spacers (I also had to do the back which I think were 1 or 1.5) It looks almost stock but I measured it and there is 11" of clearance from the ground to the body behind the front tire and 12 in front of the rear.

Lift kit stock with no spacers.

Lift with 2" spacers on stock tiers

Here are the tires I picked up

Half way done.

Finished Product

I am super happy with this look. Cant wait to see what it rides like in off-road. It does rub a little bit when i turn but just on the plastic. I used a 3pound hammer to smack down the steel pinch welds before getting them installed. (This is very common in the Jeep Cherokee community.) Hopefully my photos come through correctly, other wise I will send them as links.

Back