lift options, going round and round in my head | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lift options, going round and round in my head

ryboj

Reaction score
City, State
Northern NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Dora XLT 4x4 5Spd
Guys, we sold our '93 Dora last year. It worked amazingly well for what it was, but it was getting tired (didn't want to rebuild) and was also cosmetically challenged in many ways that we inherited, so we picked up a Dodge Ramcharger and built that up. We're near done with that and decided to pick up another X since they just seem to perform so well, even with inadequate parts to some degree...I'd say quite underrated as a 4x4 machine!

So, we just picked up a super clean, lower mileage '92 with a factory 5spd, never been in 4 wheel drive, CA only, and I believe it, clean interior, and had only a bad heater core, whinney PS pump, missing subwoofer and a small rear main leak, along with the infamous clear coat coming off. Either way, we were tired of having the weaker A4LD, so this time we did it right and got the M50D! Yay!

20141217_151942.jpg

20141217_152726.jpg

5381.jpg

5590.jpg

Ok, so here's the thing. Our last Dora already had the lift on, but we did add Bilstein 51xx's to it, which are btw an amazing shock. The last one had a 4" Tough Country Lift, fact radius arms (not extended), legacy based Rough Country 3" lift rear springs and Warrior shackles. Believe it or not, this truck did amazing. It was also running on 32x11.50s, stock 373s and a fairly worn fact posi. For what it was, performed great!

However, now that we have a base platform from which to work and we'd like to do it right the first time, here are some options I've put together. Just trying to see what makes the most sense here. We're not on a shoe string budget, but we are on a budget and we're looking for something functional, reliable and cost effective, and doesn't wander like a kid on a bicycle. We'd prefer not to have to buy things 2x or swap things out later. No reason for us to do it wrong the first time.

Will be used for 50% mountain trails, mild to intermediate, 40% open desert and about 10% dunes. Would run a 32x1150 tire most likely, and maybe a 33x1250 if went larger than 5".

1: 2.5” JD Full System 1699 + shipping, dual front shocks, deaver springs included, add cheap
pitman arm too potentially

2: 5.5” JD Full System 1900 + shipping, dual front shocks, deaver springs included (need
driveshafts lengthened front and rear, maybe 175-200 each end)

3: 4” Tuff Country with Tuff Country Arms, 4” Rough Country Leafs, Bilsteins,
roughly $1530

4: 4” Tuff Country with JD Arms, 4” Rough Country Leafs, Bilsteins, roughly
$1980

5: 5.5” Superlift with SL Arms, Rough Country Leafs, Warrior Shackles,
Bilsteins, roughly $1380 (need driveshafts lengthened front and rear, maybe
175-200 each end and longer brake lines)

Note, I'm aware, Superlift front drop pivot brackets should be reinforced some (weld them up stronger), and their Extended arms are def not as good as JD’s. I would imagine SuperLift and Tuff Country arms are near as strong, both with pro and cons in terms of design, but obviously JD’s are better, but also a lot more money. SkyJacker arms great too, but likely just do JD's if already looking at their kits too.

What do you guys think?

What would be the sweetest combo here, to meet those goals, and not totally break the bank?

Anything I'm not seeing or taking into consideration here?

We'd likely stay at 3.73's for a while, since we just bough full gears and a TruTrac for the Ramcharger, so gears will need to wait for some time.

Thanks all!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, reached out to Solo and Threat here in CA (McNeil\Perry never responded), some of Camburg's and AutoFab's competition, with Threat being only about an hour from me. Both shops responsive, but Threat definitely on top of communication and answering questions. Dave seems like a real cool guy and quite honest.

Ordered Threat's kit today....as he's having a huge sale through Monday, which is advertised on Race-Dezert's site under classifieds, parts. Saving a grip of cash, which will help, so we can pay for other items this thing still needs.

Going to do:

-Cut and Turned Beams (non extended)
-Coils (4")
-Bilstein 5100's
-Extended Brake Lines
-Alignment cams not needed, zero degree still used
-Extended Radius Arms, with huge Heims

Out in the rear, he's going to check into some Race Pack Deavers next week, and again, some Bilsteins to control the leafs.

Should be good for about 13" of travel up front, and not yet sure on rear, and will give us a little room for upgrades in the future before going to extended beams.

Should be great. Will post pics and details once the suspension work is installed in the next month or so.

We won't need any driveshaft work, front and rear, will we? I'm thinking no, but not 100% sure. I know regular drop pivot 4" kits don't need DS mods, so I'm thinking it won't....hmm

We won't need any driveshaft work, front and rear, will we? I'm thinking no, but not 100% sure. I know regular drop pivot 4" kits don't need DS mods, so I'm thinking it won't....hmm

With 4"-ish of lift, no, you shouldn't need new drive shafts.

When we finally went to 5"+ AND moved the rear axle back an inch, I had to get the driveshaft lengthened 2". Old shaft was 49" long (when slip joint was centered) and we needed 51" with the suspension at rest.

As for the front, even with the cut/turned beams, and extended Radius arms the front shaft still seems "long enough". I haven't pulled it out or broken it yet but I don't remember any measurements so I don't remember knowing I didn't "need" to get a new one.

~Mark

Thank you Mad, will do!

Maniak: Appreciate that feedback. I'm hoping we won't need to. It will help reduce the cost/expenses of this project and we can put that money elsewhere!

Update: For the rear, Ok, just ordered up the rear Deaver 10 leaf spring packs along with another set of matching Bilsteins for the rear. These are the 2.5" over springs and we'll use 1.5" over Threat Motorsports Shackles to match the front lift. We way change our mind on the 10 leaf pack and go 7, not sure. I'm curious to know if the 10 leaf pack will inhibit flex compared to the 7 pack, or they're roughly the same, just the 10 pack has more weight carrying capacity. We'll see. Should have those in the next month since they're on order.

Next, need to figure out tires. I've been using the http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html link to understand crawl speeds and cruising speeds on the M5OD trans with 32 and 33" tires in comparisons to what we had before, which was 3.73's on the auto A4LD using 32's. Crawl speed wasn't that great on the old auto we had.

Seems the M5OD 5 speed we have now is much better, gearing wise, for crawling and supporting a larger tire size without doing gears, well at least putting that off for a long time.

So, looking at 32x1150 again, or 33x1250 or 33x1050's on a 15" rim, likely 8", BFG A/T's again, since the last set performed amazing.

Any feedback? We really don't want to do much, if any trimming (if we do trim, must be minor), and we don't want to have to re-gear, so 3.73's need to cut it now and maybe for a long time.

All right, looks like we'll just go with 33x1250's AT's on a 15x8" rim and do some minor trimming. There are a number of trails within the Sierra Nevada's that have a minimum tire height of 33", so no point limiting us right out of the gate. This will allow us a little greater flexibility in where this thing goes. Sometimes 1+" can be all you need, haha.

After reviewing that gear link, looks like we'll still be in much better shape gearing wise on 33's compared to the 32's before on our old auto trans, both having 3.73s.

The trans and diffs should have no issues with 33's. Ordered up the WARN 37780 hubs, so won't be having any issues there either.

Should be solid. Stock posi seems to work darn good too, so that's positive.

Hopefully all the custom parts for the lift will be in within the next few weeks so we can start building up the fun stuff.

Back