• Register Today It's free!

lift problems

A91EBexplorer4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 EB Explorer 4x4
I just installed the superlift 5.5" with the extended rad. arms. i already had a 3" body lift. the lift went in fine and took ALL of one day. here are some questions and problems:

is anyone running this lift setup without there front and rear sway bars?

i have alot of sway in mine and im wondering if i have to hook up the sway bars again and just use some type of disconnects. id like to keep them off. also would it help if i ran gas/ nitro shocks instead of the new hydro shocks?

i added Poly bushings to the axle pivot points and to the rad arms. i just bought new poly bushings for the front sway bars too, ( if i put them on).

did any one have problems getting there truck aligned?

i brought mine to two different shops and they messed with it for a while and said that the best they could get it. it pulls to the right a good bit.

another question is i feel this jerking on the steering wheel while driving too especially when going on a bumpy road or un even surface. is that bump steer? and does anyone think that the super lift, super runner steering system will fix any of these problems?
Thanks !

Howard

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had to leave the front connected, but i just took a grade 8 bolt and 2 nuts and used those as the connecting point in the links. then whenever i wheeled, i just unbolted them...wasn't too bad, but was kind of a pain.....rather than gas/nitro shocks...you could possibly do a dual shock setup, and that would probably eliminate a lot of the sway. if you do drive down the road swaying a lot, you will wear out your shocks faster, and not to mention scarrying other drivers!! hehe

mine was never really aligned well, but there is an adjustable camber bushing that you can get from superlift that will help out a whole lot. Kampy here on the board used it, and may still have the part number.

with the pulling to the right, a lot of people on here had experienced that, and found it to possiblly be in the radius arm bushings. Matt Adams had a set of adjustable ones that were supposed to eliminate the pulling.....before i got to do any of that cool stuff...i decided on solid...so i don't know first hand.

I don't have the part# anymore, don't have alot of things since the puter puked, but you can call superlift and they will get it to you.

bump

bumpin it up still need some help. im waiting on the front sway bar drop bracket so i can hook it up. then ill try that then ill hook up the rear if i have to.

Bumping it up. Sounds like the exact problem the Explorer I bought this weekend is having. It's a 92' with 6" lift on 33's

sirhk100

sirhk100,

hey when i pout the front sway bar on there it took a whole heck of alot of the sway away from it. i still havnt gotten it aligned yet but i plan on taking it to a 4wd place and not a regular alignment shop as i took it to two already and they did have a clue.
how much did you pay for the Explorer Sirhk100? how many miles on it? just curious thats all. so check yours and see if the front sway bar is still there it may have been taking off. dont buy the sway bar drop brackets from superlift though they are cheap and will bend.

The vehicle is a 92' 4 door, 4wd, maroon, tan leather interior, power everything, aftermarket power moonroof, 6" lift on 33's, 4.0, auto, 98,000miles, $8800. This thing is spotless with no dents or scratches. Interior is imaculate, looks brand new. Stock ones in this condition with higher miles around SoCal are going for $8000 so I figured with the lift and stuff it's worth it. The sway bar is gone on it. My friend with a ranger showed me where it used to mount. He said he has his sway bar but no mounting brackets so I'm going to get his and see if I can get it mounted up. Did you use longer links to connect it with the lift instead of the drop down brackets? I hope this helps, I don't see why it won't. Everyone tells me that Pro Comp doesn't offer a lift this big for the 4WD Ex but I swear that this has a Pro Comp lift. It's the same color as every other Pro Comp lift and that's what the recipets the guy gave me said. I plan on getting the loonger radius arms that Camburg makes and putting on a set of resevoir Sway-A-Way shocks. Once I do this I think I'll be able to take the sway bar off again. My plans for the future are to build it up as a desert prerunner since I already have a CJ7 built up for rock crawling. I have a picture on my computer of it but I don't know how to upload it to this page. Well, I've gone on enough about it. If you're curious about the radius arms I'm getting or what I plan on doing check out www.camburg.com look at their custom prerunners and the Explorer they're building.

sway bar

hey i think that some years on the ranger actually had there way bars in the backl of the front axle and the explorer bieng in the front of the front axle. i have a superlift drop bracket that they sent me by mistake for the set up on the sway bar that goes in the back of the front axle. i believe it's for rangers though.
you didnt happen to buy the Explorer that was on e-bay did you? i think that that was a 6" Skyjacker lift on there. i got the extended rad arms on mine. but if you need the bracket that goes in the back let me know ill pretty much give it to ya. no i havent tried to use a longer link instead of the cheap bracket they gave me but ill look into it. well i guess thats it for now , but id like to know more about those shocks though.
Later , Howard

Back