• Register Today It's free!

Lift Questions, 2WD - 99' Sport

thatoneguy

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 4.0L OHV
Alright guys I know you've read forums about this a bazillion times (2WD Explorer Sports) but I've been reading around the forums on site trying to figure out what to do for my Explorer. And I think I have a round about idea on what to do. The overwhelming part of me is figuring out where to start, what parts to get first, etc.

I hear Ranger lifts work on Explorers but I'm not 100% sure if I should go that way. Found this while looking around on google not to mention a few posts on the site - Performance Accessories Ranger 98-00 3" body lift kit #883.

Also read about getting a 4dr spring pack for the rear of my sport, tweaking the torsion bars up and getting shackles.

Either way, I was hoping you all could educate me more on all this and help me figure out the best route I should take since I really want to lift my explorer and have been thinking about it since I got it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

camburg long travel... that would be sick

What is your budget? body lifts are ok..... but i'm not a big fan of 3". I dont even like my 2" that much. If i did it all again, i'd skip the body lift and hack the fenders.

on a budget, I'd say some 3" lift spindles up front, and/or torsion twist, and some longer shackles in the rear.

How much you want to spend will determine everything though...but no bodylift!

I have about 700 to spend right now. So I think the long travel kit is outta the question if you know what I mean :eek:

Aric why would skip the lift and hack the fenders? Bigger tires? . You're explorer looks sick btw!

And as tempting as the body lift is, I'm going to take your guys advice and steer away from it.

All of the tips are helping guys - so many different ways I can do this apparently, appreciate it.

body lift

why do you not advise a body lift?

you can easily get some spindles, AAL and shackled for the budget you have. Hell you can get a used camburg 6.0 kit on dezertrangers.com for that amount of money. http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55917.

An AAL and shackles would only be about 100$ more. Youd have a good strong front end, and a good solid rear setup with this.

why do you not advise a body lift?

Body lifts only serve the purpose of extra clearance for larger tires. With a 2wd lift options are pretty cheap and will give more ground clearance.

NO BODY LIFT! do the spindles

if you were to go with one it would have to be the 3", the ranger edge and explorer share the same front ends. The edge spindles accept the larger diameter rotors. did you check out the link i posted?? Camburg stuff is some of the best you can buy..

But if this kit is what your looking for i say grab it. I have fabtech spindles up front and they give a nice amount of lift. Youd have essentially the same lift i have right now.

Yeah I saw the Camburg kit on the site. But is it the entire kit or just the upper arms and spindles? That's most of the kit though aside from the shocks, straps and brake lines right? Which I'd have no problem finding else where.

$700.... does that include getting rims and tires? If thats your suspension budget, then 50-75 will get you some beefy warrior shackles, i have no idea what spindles cost but maybe get them used for 200-250(ballpark guess), so that puts you around $300 with 3" up front and 2" out back, so you have that nice california gangsta lean to your ride. put in $30 add-a-leafs from summit and that will bump your rear end up about .5" to 1", make a hybrid f-150/explorer leaf pack and you could probably level the truck out.

3" lift should clear 32" tires easy, and 33's to 35's if you get creative (and ballsy) with a sawzall. You can probably pick up some decent tires with what you have left in your budget. i'd recomend 33's, they are big, but not enourmous, and a very common tire size, so finding used tires should be cake. when you get the money, regear the rearend to 4.10-4.56 (4.10 = better hwy mileage/top end, 4.56 = better getup and go). Throw in a lock-rite (dont waste your money on a no-slip unit... they are garbage in my opinion (not worth the extra $200 anyway)) and you'll have yourself a halfway decent truck to cruise around the desert with. Just be prepared to replace ball joints a lot if you beat on your truck.

If your gonna beat on it in the desert get the camburg kit for sure. Do a simple upgrade to a 2.0 fox, or other brand shock and you have a great front end that you can really beat. It money well spent, a little more than your budget but might as well do it right the first time.

The burg kit thats for sale is the main components of the kit. youll need limit straps and extended brake lines, and shocks.

yep...those are what you want...how's the front coming...i think you know by now that 3" spindles are probably the best way to go aside from a torsion twist which is free but will stiffen up your ride a considerable amount.

Alright I'm on my way then :p: just ordered them.

Front is getting there I suppose, I've been looking at that Camburg kit a lot so I'm not sure whether to go that route or with the 3" spindles. I see you got the Camburg kit, do you prefer that over the spindles?

i ran spindles before camburg...same amount of lift just a lot better quality and a lot more durability...if you can swing it i'd drop the cash for the burg kit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think thats what ill do then if it's better in the long run.

not that i do A LOT of off-roading but i have a feeling if i do the spindles ill keep pushing it and wish i went with the burg kit.

Back