Lift suggestions

Htown451

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 sport
So i have a 01 sport and im in the same situation as JDOG
i wanna lift it up and was wondering whats best i think my price range is a little higher than his i can prolly throw about 4-5 in it myself and get the rest for the holidays

i already know about TT and shackles but im wondering about the cost for BL and Susp lifts

how much did it run you if you got it?
and another quick question, how much is an alingment?

::UPDATE::
ive been looking for the PA BL and shackles
but they dont list them for the explorer like most anything
could you tell me where you found them and what you got them under?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A suspension lift will run you over a grand, easy. A 3'' body lift can be had for $200 or so, but it doesn't look nearly as good or offer the functionality of the susp. lift.

Mine has the 2'' TT and shackles and a 3'' BL. Link in signature.

and my alignment cost me like $200 because I had to get some new parts in order for them to make the adjustments, I don't even remember what the hell they were called. It shouldn't cost nearly that much if you don't need those pieces changed out.

probably the camber kits or whatever they are, you can buy them for I think $20 from parts stores. Alignments are usually $80 - $90 i think for a 4x4. Do a search there's tons and tons and tons of stuff on lifts.

man paraphoe your X looks good must have been real inexspensive

the TT/ Shackles sounds good with 3" BL my only problem is putting everything in, dont think i have the tools for it.

Thanks for input so far hope to hear more

with 2 people it took 2 solid days of work for shackles, torsion twist, and 3" body lift. that was enough room for 15x8 wheels with 33x12.5 tires, after some trimming of the body molding. total cost was $1050 for those parts, but then i had to replace all my ball joints, which was like $300.

probably the camber kits or whatever they are, you can buy them for I think $20 from parts stores. Alignments are usually $80 - $90 i think for a 4x4. Do a search there's tons and tons and tons of stuff on lifts.

Yea, those were them. I forget how much they charged for the little things, but all total it was $200 for the job. Might have been an extra charge for the 33s.

man paraphoe your X looks good must have been real inexspensive

the TT/ Shackles sounds good with 3" BL my only problem is putting everything in, dont think i have the tools for it.

Thanks for input so far hope to hear more

It wasn't bad at all, compared to what it would have cost for the suspension lift.

What tools do you not have? You really don't need anything highly sophisticated. Sockets, ratchets, breaker bar, penetrating oil, jacks and stands are the basics. You might need assorted other tools like pipe wrenches or channel locks if you have to wrangle with some frozen bolts, and I bought a 4 foot pipe to slip over the end of my breaker bar for leverage, but all in all, it's not a very tool-intensive job.

woah $1050 thats usually not what ive been finding everywhere

like 50$ shackles and 200$ BL

ok yea that sounds more reasonable

i dunno what ima do for the wheels and tires i might hold off for a while till i get the money and just look like a n00b with the stock or ill do payments or something

so as for now

i think im will go with 3"BL TT/Shackles

i was doin some searching and i found the idea of the f150 coils seats
could i do that?

also, is there a write up on the BL install anywhere i think i can manag with help and not have to pay the 500 or more dollars for someone to do it

I have similar setup to pap, TT,Shackle, AAL, and 2" BL

the TT, shackles, and AAL could all be done with simple socket set and a floor jack and jackstands and a few hours...

The Bodylift only needs similar tools the bad part is, it just takes time,not even to hard, there is a write-up somewhere I'll look for that

Found some: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92212&highlight=bodylift
http://mudmarine.tripod.com/3bodyliftinstall/index.html

my cost were aprox...
TT-free
Shackles-60.00
Add-A-leaf- 35.00
2" Body lift- 150.00

33x12.5x15 Procomp AT's and 15x8 Steelies-700.00 (from a good friend)

so with shipping and what not aprox 1k and almost all was tires...

lilMud1.jpg

The f150 coil seats are for 91 - 94, they had coil springs up front you have torsion bars. No go for coil seats, you can do f150 rear leafs for an unpredictable amount of lift 1 - 3 inches I think. There's a write up about how to do that, just search and you'll find it a few people have done it.

Since you have a sport you can get the 4 dr leaf packs out of a junked 4door explorer and put them in, supposed to give an inch or so of lift. I didn't gain anything from doing it but it makes it so you can do aal. You currently have a mono leaf in the rear...unless something changed from 97 to 01

Tires

What are the largest tire i can put on a stock 1997 Ford Explorer XL?

My original Tire size is P235/75R15, i want to put bigger tires with little or no modifications, would 31x10.5R15 Fit?

^-- hijacker of the century :D. Please Cheford, one post is enough. Thanks!

Since you have a sport you can get the 4 dr leaf packs out of a junked 4door explorer and put them in, supposed to give an inch or so of lift. I didn't gain anything from doing it but it makes it so you can do aal. You currently have a mono leaf in the rear...unless something changed from 97 to 01

The 2001 sport has a multi leaf pack unlike the older expos so a 4 door leaf will do nothing. I got a set of lift shackels from Autozone and did a TT in the front. I just bought a body lift but I got the Sport Trac lift and everything matches up perfect. The only thing is you will have two extra lift blocks left due to the fact that the trac is longer. Hope this helps ya. Heres a pic but the bodylift isnt installed yet so just shackels and TT.
Exploderside.jpg

body lift on 01+ sport

hey muddinexploder.... did you ever get that body lift put on??? i have an 03 sport and i was about to buy the body lift for the ranger but the one for the sport trac makes more sense if it all fits up correctly...

post some pics up if you have it on! i'd love to see it.

jenni

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back