• Register Today It's free!

lift, wheels, and tires

SVO42

Reaction score
City, State
RV Nomad
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XL
I'm doing some research for my dad, who just got a 2008 Escape AWD. I know the Escape isn't meant for anything hardcore, but dad wants to put a 1.5" lift on it with some new wheels and tires. In '08 the Escape went to 16 and 17 inch wheels from the prior 15. The stock wheels have about 40 mm positive offset (5.5-5.75" backspacing). The bigger wheels were needed to fit the bigger brake rotors.

My question is: can a 15" wheel fit an '08 Escape if you used a wheel with far less backspacing, say 3.75"? Would that be enough to clear the caliper? I'd just go do some measurements but the Escape is about 250 miles away from me right now.

The reason for this is that there are MANY more options for a 15" wheel than a 16", not to mention the larger wheel sizes with positive offset are mostly geared for the FWD (which includes the ricer) crowd. Not really dad's style. The Escape he got is a Limited in Oxford White and I was thinking some white wagon wheels with some BFG AT KOs with the raised white letters would look good.

Any input would be appreciated!

:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 08 Limited, Stone in color. I have disk in front and drums in back, I think thay are the same, at least that is what the dealer said they were equiped with. If you can let me know what mesurements and how to get them, I will try to help. Keep in mind that I am 63 and 50 lbs over weight. Pete;)

Thanks, Pete, I appreciate it but wouldn't want to to have to go that far! :) Besides, what I think will really be necessary is for me to try to put a 15" wheel on there and see what happens. If there's not enough room, start spacing it out to see how much the backspacing needs to be reduced for a 15" wheel to fit. I did find another option of ONE style of white wagon wheel that's a 16-incher but it only comes in a 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern. It would probably work with a set of spacer/adapters to 5 on 4.5". I'll be going to Joplin again in a couple of weeks and hopefully dad can contain his excitement long enough for me to try it out.

Not sure on the wheel issue, but I do know Old Man Emu (sold through ARB USA) carries lift springs for the Escape.

He's going to wait on the lift now and just go with some 255/70/R16 BFG TA KOs since they'll supposedly fit w/out a lift. And he wants to stay with 16" wheels. Back to the drawing board! Thanks, though, guys!

A lift on current gen Escape is a rollover accident in the making.

Why do you say that?

Perhaps emphasizing safety first....

No need for explanation, given the short wheelbase, narrow track, high CG, tall running height, and possibly lack of stabilty control system.

Perhaps the Ford dealer would best explain why.

You would almost have to TRY to flip an Escape over stock, and I doubt a 1-2" lift will make the condition that much worse. Maybe my opinion's a bit skewed, but I drove my '94 Explorer with a 2" suspension and 2" body lift on 33" FIRESTONE MTs, often underinflated from wheeling trips and never flipped it. Drove it like that DAILY for three years.

After the SAS, I drove it like THAT on the highway at 55-60 MPH on 40" tires and it felt MORE stable and rode better. Sorry, you have to try harder with me. :p: Not to mention my dad usually drives more like grandpa. :roll: :D

Sounds reasonable, and driven in appropriate manner.

Back