Lift ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift ?

bcorff

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 4x4 V6
You don't have torsion bars. Only the '95 and newer explorers with independent double wishbone front suspension have them. They are what acts as a spring in the double wishbone setup. I think you will either have to use coil spring spacers or get longer springs.

------------------
Brian Corff
Dead Link Removed
"Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you suck forever."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you are looking for the exact lift I have on my '93. I put a 3" body lift and then 2.5 " taller springs in the front, with 3" add-a-leafs in the rear. Combined with the shackles and the spacers I have about 4" of suspension lift. With the body lift the total is about 7". It works great with my 33x12.50 BFG's. I did the lift myself and it was really easy. Send me an e-mail if you have any questions. Good Luck!

------------------
Happy Trails!
'93 XLT 4x4
Dead Link Removed
swankmi@efortress.com

RonM,
I did the lift myself and it wasn't bad. The only hard part was geting the front body mounts out, spent 3 hours on those 2 mounts, other than a piece of cake. As to the other replies I guess I will go with the coilspring spacers and rear shackels. Didn't know if i had torsion bars or not and this answers my questions. I'll be putting it in this weekend and buying the tires on Monday. Been trying to get my explorer pic posted on this site but no luck yet. Considering what i started with ( a security vehecile) I think it has come a heck of a long way. Will keep you all informed and thanks for the help. I'd be lost without this site. I'll soon be moving to Southern cali, for my work so hopefully i can get in on some of the explorer runs.

if u r looking for more lift i have a 2" skyjacker for sale if you're interested

Amigo,

I went with the Warrior shackels and the Rough Country "leveling" coils and am very pleased. Look/search for an old post in this fourm titled "cheap way of lifting" all the torid details are in there. If you call Rough Country talk to Davie and mention the site. Rough Country is starting to show up on posts more frequently. It would be nice to see them end up as a sponsor. I've already let Rick know how pleased I was with their service and products.

Best regards.
hg

------------------
'91 EB, 4dr, 2wd
www.grimmick.com
hank@grimmick.com

I currently have a 91 explorer with a 3" body lift and 31x10.5 BFG's on it. I would like to put 33x12.5 on it but not sure if i have enough clearance. What would be the ebst way to get 2" more lift to provide extra clearance. I'm not sure if it would be better to do a torsion bar lift or coilspring spacers with the shackle blocke in the back. And stupid as it sounds, I don't know what the heck the torsion bars even look like to do a torsion bar lift. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Amigo,
Did you do the lift yourself? I would like to install a body lift, but am unsure of how difficult it would be. As far as the lift goes, check with rough country (www.roughcountry.com). They have a leveling coil and and-a-leaf that runs about 150-170 bucks that will give you 1.5-2" of lift.

Good luck!

Jon M

------------------
Jon McLeod
'93 XLT
K&N Drop-In
Modified Airbox
Kenwood Audio w/ 6-disc changer
31x10.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers
Rancho RS5000's

Next project: visit http://www.jonmcleod.com for more info!

Back